NUD Enya Nova with a twist

It's only just occurred to me, but I think you're both correct, since the fretboards on the coloured versions are all black, why paint them?
Looks like I may have an Ex-uke in a few months.

Vintage

I would certainly contact them. I hear good things about Enya customer care and they may like to know of your issue. Some buyers had issues with the pickup models that came apart in transit, but I think they are dealing with the queries. Worth a shot I'd say. They may alter the formula and get you a replacement?

Bazmaz

I don't think I qualify for a replacement, nor would I have the cheek to ask.

To clarify, When I got this uke, it was the TransAcoustic version but there was a buzz or rattle when a certain note was played.
It wasn't fret buzz, but something internal. I started the return process via Amazon and Enya replied within a day or two,
they agreed to a refund, and told me to keep the uke. Kudos to Enya.
I tried to tighten and secure the internal cabling etc, but the buzz remained so, I removed all electric parts I could reach and the buzz went away.
In light of what is happening now with the frets, I feel fortunate that I got to keep the uke, because my intention was to re-order the acoustic only
model when the refund went through.

It's unfortunate, because I like this uke, I just hope that Enya can sort this issue, then I can buy another when this becomes unplayable.

Vintage

I am in two minds about the issue myself.

In light of the fact that I am not the only one I think I should get some photos taken by my Mum and then contact the company and return mine, so that Enya gets a good idea about the percentage of damaged instruments. They can then make improvements, so that the next batch is stronger and future customers are satisfied.

But apparently everybody who has had an issue has had to keep theirs. So they probably won't investigate mine. I might be sent a replacement, which is nice as the Nova is currently the only concert size I love. But I don't really need it. As a matter of fact, I am sure that a fretless uke can be lots of fun as well. But I object to the single use plastic uke it then becomes for most people.
By the way, my black Nova did not have an issue with picking up fingerprints, so that could already be the effect of changes in the paint and painting process since Barry got his pre-production uke.

I would certainly contact them. I hear good things about Enya customer care and they may like to know of your issue. Some buyers had issues with the pickup models that came apart in transit, but I think they are dealing with the queries. Worth a shot I'd say. They may alter the formula and get you a replacement?

Enya's reply -

Thank you very much for contacting us and sharing the feedback!

It's definitely a major issue if the strings wear away the frets. I will let the product development team look at it and start working on fixing it with the manufacturer. Again, thank you very much for letting us be aware of this issue, we hope to have it improved as soon as possible.

Best,

Mike
Enya Music

Just out of curiosity, are those of you who are seeing fret wear, like in the picture, using the included capo while playing? Or even just a capo?
I will say that included capo is the spring type and is basically a clamp. I could see something like that causing damage. I wouldn't use that capo on an instrument with metal frets either...neither would I use the Kyser or any type like that. They clamp strings down into the frets. Personally, I think they shouldn't send that capo with these ukes, whether that was the issue or not.

Other than that, every single person will experience fret wear differently. Ideally, we should only press just enough to hear the notes clearly. With the low tension, included strings on the Nova I could see people pressing harder than necessary. In that case, any wear will happen sooner for sure.
I've even heard of that happen with well known brand guitars with some players. It takes time to develop the right touch on a specific instrument.

All that said, I think data really needs to be collected from a lot of people to see who is having problems and who isn't. I'm sure there are a lot of variables and only time will tell. It's too bad some are seeing issues now though.
From my experience with Enya, they are very responsive and open to feedback, criticism, etc.
So hopefully all of this will be taken care of in the best way it can be for all involved.

Just out of curiosity, are those of you who are seeing fret wear, like in the picture, using the included capo while playing? Or even just a capo?
I will say that included capo is the spring type and is basically a clamp. I could see something like that causing damage. I wouldn't use that capo on an instrument with metal frets either...neither would I use the Kyser or any type like that. They clamp strings down into the frets. Personally, I think they shouldn't send that capo with these ukes, whether that was the issue or not.

Other than that, every single person will experience fret wear differently. Ideally, we should only press just enough to hear the notes clearly. With the low tension, included strings on the Nova I could see people pressing harder than necessary. In that case, any wear will happen sooner for sure.
I've even heard of that happen with well known brand guitars with some players. It takes time to develop the right touch on a specific instrument.

All that said, I think data really needs to be collected from a lot of people to see who is having problems and who isn't. I'm sure there are a lot of variables and only time will tell. It's too bad some are seeing issues now though.
From my experience with Enya, they are very responsive and open to feedback, criticism, etc.
So hopefully all of this will be taken care of in the best way it can be for all involved.

Definitely, playing style would affect this, but we're talking about a few weeks of play. Also, I'm not sure guitars are a fair comparison as your comparing metal frets with plastic frets. The picture of the worn metal frets aren't from an Enya Nova.

I don't play with the included or any other capo, I don't have a use for them.
You opened my eyes, maybe I am part of the problem because of excess pressure. I prefer both higher tension strings and a tenor size, so it took me a bit of effort to retrain my fingers. But it always seemed so easy to play chords, Bb was never difficult; and I could feel far more fatigue in my left hand once I lent it out and I reverted back to my other high G tenor. Anyway, pics of the fret wear after 7-8 weeks of daily playing and the Serial no will probably reach me by the end of this week or so. I'll contact Enya once I've got them.

Definitely, playing style would affect this, but we're talking about a few weeks of play. Also, I'm not sure guitars are a fair comparison as your comparing metal frets with plastic frets. The picture of the worn metal frets aren't from an Enya Nova.
Yeah, my point was just that I've seen people wear frets out in a short amount of time on an instrument that others had no problems with...even metal frets.

I don't play with the included or any other capo, I don't have a use for them.
You opened my eyes, maybe I am part of the problem because of excess pressure. I prefer both higher tension strings and a tenor size, so it took me a bit of effort to retrain my fingers. But it always seemed so easy to play chords, Bb was never difficult; and I could feel far more fatigue in my left hand once I lent it out and I reverted back to my other high G tenor. Anyway, pics of the fret wear after 7-8 weeks of daily playing and the Serial no will probably reach me by the end of this week or so. I'll contact Enya once I've got them.
That would make a big difference. Yes, definitely send the pictures and how much time you've played etc. on to Enya. Hopefully it can get resolved. I will say that the NAMM show is happening, so I assume they'll be super busy with that, so maybe the week delay with sending is a good thing.

I'm with Ms Bean on capos, don't use them on ukes.
As for fretting pressure, I don't have a benchmark so can't comment except to say that this amount of wear after max, 8 weeks is a bit excessive.

Vintage

I'm with Ms Bean on capos, don't use them on ukes.
As for fretting pressure, I don't have a benchmark so can't comment except to say that this amount of wear after max, 8 weeks is a bit excessive.

Vintage
Yeah, I can see why you'd be disappointed. Hopefully you're able to get in touch with them too.

VintageGibson,

The only thing I don't understand is that previously in this thread you have said that you don't want to contact Enya? If I correctly understood that, why not?

VintageGibson,

The only thing I don't understand is that previously in this thread you have said that you don't want to contact Enya? If I correctly understood that, why not?

See comment #63. Enya already refunded his money over another issue, but let him keep the uke. Hard to keep complaining about a free ukulele.

Choirguy,

What Glennerd said.

I raised the issue here to pass on information and try to assess the extent of the problem from other Nova users, and perhaps gain some useful comments.
I would feel like a freeloader if I contacted Enya, luckily Jerryc41 took the initiative and did so.

Vintage

Can you post pictures? The more examples we have, the better. You can write to Enya using the link below. The more they hear from customers, the better our chance of getting action. You can write to Enya here -

https://www.enya-music.com/pages/contact-us

I got this picture of the damage on my Nova. I hope it's clear enough for Enya to start collecting data. I'll send a picture of the serial no along as well. I haven't made up my mind to go through Amazon or to use the link you provided Jerry. Anyway, I'll let you know when I hear from them.

Attachments

• 20200115182538_IMG_1465.jpg
    20200115182538_IMG_1465.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 65
I contacted Enya and attached the photos of the worn fretboard and the serial no. Mike replied that they are currently working on hardening the frets, and that they expect the upgrade to be available to send out in two months time.
They offered to send out a current one as a replacement should I have buzzing issues due to the wear. But as that is currently not a problem I told them that I would be happy to wait. I'll contact them around the end of March to get the confirmation that the upgrade has passed a more rigorous stress test.

I contacted Enya and attached the photos of the worn fretboard and the serial no. Mike replied that they are currently working on hardening the frets, and that they expect the upgrade to be available to send out in two months time.
They offered to send out a current one as a replacement should I have buzzing issues due to the wear. But as that is currently not a problem I told them that I would be happy to wait. I'll contact them around the end of March to get the confirmation that the upgrade has passed a more rigorous stress test.

Good news :eek:

Ms Bean

Good result!:)

I'm impressed with Enya's customer service.
By the time mine becomes unplayable the upgraded version should be well established, so I'll buy a new one.

Vintage

I thought I'd follow this up with Enya's customer care services to find out about the impact of COVID-19. Here is the reply I received:

The COVID-19 is slowing us down on product development, and we are now expecting the upgraded Nova to be available in May.

This time I also provided them with my Amazom UK order number and delivery delivery + full name and address. So, they also added:

You may feel free to keep the uke and we will ship you the upgraded replacement once available.

If UU is still around come May I'll let you know the outcome and, if there are any, visual differences / upgrades compared to the original model.

I followed up once more since the May deadline had passed. I asked some additional questions as well.

So, they have upgraded the material and an improved version is now available (World of Ukes stocks the improved version).

Enya Customer service does mention that the improved material is still not stable or strong enough to be sure that fret wear will not happen on the upgrade. They continue their efforts and they expect the Nova with metal frets to be available last quarter of this year.

It's good to know that they have taken the issue seriously and that they continue to improve their product. However, for some early buyers it may mean that their worn Enya will be out of warranty and that a warranty claim via Amazon may be much more difficult or won't be possible.

Top Bottom