Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NUD Enya Nova with a twist

Thanks for the review Dave, I do like those Novas. I'm strangely drawn to plastic ukes even though I have no use for one. I was converting your measurements to mm and ... wow, that's narrow! I found the outdoor soprano string spacing a bit narrow for my liking and it was about 2mm wider than this one. Still, it's something you might get used to with time.

I could see the black on black being an issue. I was trying out classical guitars on the weekend and some of them not having side dots was bewildering, but not even being able to see the frets? Yes, the fret board stickers is a good mod. Much better than silver paint that wears off in a week! Good luck with modding the nut. The nice thing about a cheaper ukulele is I'm more willing to do modifications (and in my case, risk screwing things up) so can be a fun project.
    Glenn

You have been buying outdoor ukes for as long as I have known you. How would you rate this one in comparison to the others in your collection ?
    You do have a pretty good looking neck. Remind me of the frosted window.

I printed a graphic for the neck on clear vinyl, the only kind I had, and it doesn't look good on the uke. Without the white background, I can see right through the color. I ordered some white vinyl, and I'll try again tomorrow.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Thanks for the review Dave, I do like those Novas. I'm strangely drawn to plastic ukes even though I have no use for one. I was converting your measurements to mm and ... wow, that's narrow! I found the outdoor soprano string spacing a bit narrow for my liking and it was about 2mm wider than this one. Still, it's something you might get used to with time.

I could see the black on black being an issue. I was trying out classical guitars on the weekend and some of them not having side dots was bewildering, but not even being able to see the frets? Yes, the fret board stickers is a good mod. Much better than silver paint that wears off in a week! Good luck with modding the nut. The nice thing about a cheaper ukulele is I'm more willing to do modifications (and in my case, risk screwing things up) so can be a fun project.
    Thanks Glen, it is a fun instrument and being inexpensive frees me up to do modifications with out too much worry. Lack of side dots are an issue too because a number of my ukes have side dots only. I will probably add those as well, either stickers or drill a small shallow indent and fill with white paint.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by SoloRule View Post
    You have been buying outdoor ukes for as long as I have known you. How would you rate this one in comparison to the others in your collection ?
    You do have a pretty good looking neck. Remind me of the frosted window.

Yea I am strangely attracted to “plastic/non-wood ukes”.

As a comparison.
    *The Korala is a basic plastic concert uke with the awful Tupperware sound.
    *The Enya X1 concert has a mellow tone that is a bit on the quiet side.
    *The Enya X1 pineapple soprano is a real keeper. It is louder then the concert with a very pleasing warm tone.
    *The Enya Nova has really surprised me in a good way. It makes no sense.....a loud bright (in high G) tone from a shallow composite body with no real sound hole. I like this one a lot and strung low G, my personal stringing preference, it sounds really good.
    *The Blackbird Farallon was in a league all its own. But a $2000 instrument against $100 ones had better be.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    To illustrate what I mean about string spacing here are two pictures. One of the Enya Nova and the other is my Kimo tenor with 1-3/8" nut width. The biggest culprit with the Enya is how far inside the fret board edge the strings are placed. This makes everything much tighter then it could be. Unfortunately the nut is part of the instrument, it is not a seperate removable item. The saddle is separate and removable which is a very nice touch.

Attachment 124202Attachment 124203
    In my review, I noted the narrow spacing. However, it's still really playable, and I think the radius is why. I recently bought a Magic Fluke here on UU, and it has the largest spacing (as a concert) of any ukulele I own...even more than my baritone. What's funny is that the Fluke becomes a challenge to play...I have to actually think about finger spacing, whereas on the Enya I do not.

I can understand how someone with super large hands might not like the Enya's spacing, but for me, with men's size L hands, it's amazingly playable for such tight spacing. It shouldn't work but it does.

Well...most guitars have closer spacing, don't they? And they sure sell a lot of those.

Neck Illusions. I'll have to keep that in mind!
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Wow, thanks Dave for posting those specs. In mm, those equate to a nut width of 33.34 mm and string spacing of 24.6 mm. That sounds just so tight, compared even to many import ukes that have 35mm nuts and 27-28mm string spacing. I've never heard of another uke with such small specs.
    John

Dave, the Neck Illusions suggestion is wonderful. I have the blue Nova, so finding a pattern/color that works may be a challenge.

I’ve taken my Enya to a couple of voice lessons as accompaniment and found the black fretboard and lack of side markers a distraction. Some fretboard bling should do the trick.
    SOPRANOS: • 1920s Gibson UKE1 (Olympian label) • 1930s Martin 2M • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany • Famous FS-1
    CONCERTS: • Martin C1K • Enya Nova U (blue) • Ohana CK-50WG (solid cedar top) • Firefly maple banjolele • Makala MK-CE
    OBJETS D'ART: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Dave, how long ago did you get that Neck Illusions? I'm concerned about him not answering my emails.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Wow, thanks Dave for posting those specs. In mm, those equate to a nut width of 33.34 mm and string spacing of 24.6 mm. That sounds just so tight, compared even to many import ukes that have 35mm nuts and 27-28mm string spacing. I've never heard of another uke with such small specs.
    These measurements seem too small - i just checked on the one I have here and the Nova is very slightly shy of 35mm at the nut with string spacing of 25mm. Like Choirguy says above though, there is something I can't put my finger on that makes it comfortable. I usually hate narrow nuts, and have whacking great hands - but find the Nova really comfortable. Maybe it's the shallow tapering where the nut meets the headstock. See pic. Either way, it's comfortable

DSCF8410.jpg
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brόko walnut soprano

Thread Information