NUD Enya Nova with a twist

Dave, how long ago did you get that Neck Illusions? I'm concerned about him not answering my emails.

I ordered it on December 9th and he shipped out December 10th, I ordered 4 of them.

He also emailed me back right after my order to ask what make and model of ukuleles. They are computer cut and made specifically to fit perfectly for each individual instrument, lots of guitars too.

That is why I gave them a 10/10, even send me a text and email confirming shipping

These measurements seem too small - i just checked on the one I have here and the Nova is very slightly shy of 35mm at the nut with string spacing of 25mm. Like Choirguy says above though, there is something I can't put my finger on that makes it comfortable. I usually hate narrow nuts, and have whacking great hands - but find the Nova really comfortable. Maybe it's the shallow tapering where the nut meets the headstock. See pic. Either way, it's comfortable

View attachment 124222

Hey Baz, below are pictures I just took of a steel rule up against the nut and and then the strings to substantiate my stated dimensions. As you can see the nut is between 1-5/16" & 1-3/8". Multiple measurements had it closer to or less then 1-5/16".
String spacing is less then 31/32"

20200109_110153.jpg20200109_105758.jpg

Attachments

• 20200109_112903.jpg
    20200109_112903.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Here are measurements taken with dial calipers then laid on the steel rule for reference. I measure things for a living so I am a bit anal about this stuff :p

20200109_114216.jpg20200109_114015.jpg

It's the inches that throw me as I am always in metric.

Just grabbed my calipers and the one here is 34.88m at the nut, and bang on 25mm G to A

Do you guys typically measure string spacing centre-to-centre? I'm always using calipers so I measure outside-to-outside, but I can see centre-to-centre being more valid as string thicknesses vary a bit, especially with a low G, but I feel like I can be more consistent with the calipers on an outside measurement as I'm not relying on eyeballing it.

It's the inches that throw me as I am always in metric.

Just grabbed my calipers and the one here is 34.88m at the nut, and bang on 25mm G to A

Yea I can be the same with metric, although as Canadian we are suppose know this stuff. We are splitting hairs, ;) as Choirguy said and yourself it is just a bit narrower then usual. But still an excellent instrument with a ridiculously low price. Highly highly recommended for a durable uke that has a very nice sound

Do you guys typically measure string spacing centre-to-centre? I'm always using calipers so I measure outside-to-outside, but I can see centre-to-centre being more valid as string thicknesses vary a bit, especially with a low G, but I feel like I can be more consistent with the calipers on an outside measurement as I'm not relying on eyeballing it.

I am in the same dilemma as you, outside to outside is more accurate. But nut slots are cut center to center so that is how I measured these string distants

I ordered it on December 9th and he shipped out December 10th, I ordered 4 of them.

He also emailed me back right after my order to ask what make and model of ukuleles. They are computer cut and made specifically to fit perfectly for each individual instrument, lots of guitars too.

That is why I gave them a 10/10, even send me a text and email confirming shipping

When I ordered one a couple of months ago, email replies wee very fast. Not so much now, which is why I'm making my own.

Question: Are the nut slots molded or are they cut? From your photo Dave, they look rounded as though they may be molded into the plastic.

That makes me wonder if the nut material is thick enough to fill and cut new slots? Hard to tell from the one photo.

Question: Are the nut slots molded or are they cut? From your photo Dave, they look rounded as though they may be molded into the plastic.

That makes me wonder if the nut material is thick enough to fill and cut new slots? Hard to tell from the one photo.

I thought about that too Ken, the nut might be hollow with modeled nut slots. I might drill a small hole and see if it is solid or not. I am getting use to playing it so might not need to make any modifications. It will just make me a more precise player.

Dave, I really like what you did to the fretboard, it looks great. Now, no one else will pick up yours, thinking it's theirs.

Hello All,

New boy, here so please be gentle!

On reading the review of this Uke by Bazmaz, I acquired a black Nova mid November 2019.
I immediately changed strings to Worth BM and have been playing fairly frequently since then.
Earlier this week I noticed string wear on the frets.

According to information in reviews etc, all the colour variations, including black, are painted over
a black polycarbon base and the damage at this stage appears to be only the paint layers being
rubbed off by the strings.

Just wondering if any other owners have seen this.

Regards
VintageGibson

Hello All,

New boy, here so please be gentle!

On reading the review of this Uke by Bazmaz, I acquired a black Nova mid November 2019.
I immediately changed strings to Worth BM and have been playing fairly frequently since then.
Earlier this week I noticed string wear on the frets.

According to information in reviews etc, all the colour variations, including black, are painted over
a black polycarbon base and the damage at this stage appears to be only the paint layers being
rubbed off by the strings.

Just wondering if any other owners have seen this.

Regards
VintageGibson

Whenever I test plastic ukes I test the frets with a hard metal edge (ruler) pressed into them. Some have shown marks (like the Schoenhut and Korala I reviewed ages ago) but some did not (like the Flea, the Flight travels, the Waterman and the Nova). It's not a perfect test and not a guarantee they will never wear, but only that they don't appear to wear quickly.

All of that said - there is a difference to paint rubbing and the actual frets wearing - are you just seeing the paint coming off, or seeing dents in the frets. The latter I would be most concerned about. The former, less so.

All of that said - there is a difference to paint rubbing and the actual frets wearing - are you just seeing the paint coming off, or seeing dents in the frets. The latter I would be most concerned about. The former, less so.

Right! If painting flaking is an issue, I would just as leave scrape the paint off the frets and avoid that chipped paint look.

Thanks for the replies.

Bazmaz; at this stage I suspect it is paint wear, but will monitor the situation.

Jerry; since this uke is black the wear is not obvious, I'd be more concerned if I had one of the pale coloured versions.

Vintage

It seemed like a common issue when the Makala Watermans came out that the silver fret paint would wear off in weeks if not days.

Going back to one of Dave's issues, maybe if you got a different colour, you could have had some nice contrasting black frets. :)

Thanks Nickie. A friend and playing partner has two Outdoor Ukuleles, they have the same all black fretboard. He ordered a set of decals for each, different patterns then mine and they look great as well.

Hi all,

I have been playing my black nova for two months, and I have to say that VintageGibson is not alone in the wear of and on the fret wires. I posted an Amazon review earlier this week. As the instrument is currently at my parents' I can't take photos. However, the damage happened with the original floppy strings, and I am a bit concerned about wear and tear in the long run.

Top Bottom