Thread: Greetings from the Bay Area

Default Greetings from the Bay Area

Hello all,

I am a life-long professional musician and have recently bought myself a quality Hawaiian ukulele. I have mainly played string instruments professionally (double bass, electric bass, mandolin, classical guitar, acoustic and electric guitar). I started out on trumpet and percussion. Then I took classical guitar lessons which got me going with strings. In high school and college I dabbled in trombone, saxophones, accordion and keyboards.

I have been playing double bass, mandolin, and accordion with the Crooked Jades lately and they use banjos and ukes extensively which got me thinking of getting a uke for myself. I look forward to absorbing all the knowledge here!

Welcome to UU
    Grandma Uker Penny

You may want to try Oakland Uke Jam on facebook if you want a group to play with (not sure where in the BA you are). They play some more advanced stuff and with your background you may really like it. They meet weekly.
    Welcome to the forum!

Welcome! What city are you living in?

I was born and raised in San Rafael, played trombone in high school band and marching band. Great place to live and grow up!

Exactly, what city are you living in?
    There is a group in Pinole, CA
    There is a group that meets at Music Works in El Cerrito, CA

Welcome!

Welcome Elmaestro!

Welcome to UU!

If you're near San Francisco, check out the San Francisco Ukulele Rebellion Meetup Group. We meet on the second Monday evening (Andronico's in the Inner Sunset) and third Saturday evening (La Promenade Cafe in the Outer Richmond) of each month. If you like Hawaiian music, there's pretty much a kanikapila every weekend -- First Saturday of the month at Doelger's Senior Center in South San Francisco, second Sunday of the month at El Cerrito Music Works, third Sunday of the month at Sacred Grounds Cafe in the NoPa District of San Francisco, and fourth Saturday evening of the month in Alameda. A group called Ukulele Friends Ohana meets somewhere in Marin every Friday evening.

Wow lots of great stuff to choose from! Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I'm currently in North Oakland, working in downtown SF. My wife and I are transitioning to new jobs that will take us north to Petaluma and Santa Rosa.

Welcome Elmaestro!
    Last edited by etudes; 01-10-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    "Everyone I know who is into the Ukulele is 'crackers' so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

I'm still trying to determine how many George meant when he said "few"..

Pono RTSH-C-PC Cedar/Rosewood tenor
    Koaloha KSM-02 Koa longneck soprano
    Blackbird Farallon
    2008 Kiwaya KTC-02 Mahogany concert
    aNueNue Moonbird Spruce/Rosewood concert
    2012 Koaloha D-VI Guitalele
    2000 Larrivée U-01 Koa soprano

Thread Information