Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Someone please talk me out of buying a banjolele

Quote Originally Posted by captain-janeway View Post
    Sadly thatís a concert size. Might be worth a try. Iíll fiddle with the wifeís c concert tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by glennerd View Post
    Let's face it, if we didn't want to be mocked, we'd all play guitar.
    If I wanted to be mocked, I'd try playing guitar again.

I sat in with a group of Old Time Players a few years back, and after about an hour and a half, one of them looked over at me and said, "Wait a minute - that ain't a banjo, it's a ukulele!" Nobody objected to what they were hearing, only to what they perceived when they saw it.

Of course, I was the only one who noticed the banjo player was playing a fretless banjo...
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
    And God forbid that in addition to loving classical music and jazz I also enjoy Country and Western! Give me some ribbing about that!
    Ummm...Didja ever hear of Bob Wills, and the Texas Playboys? They played Jazz and Big Band music... but did it with guitars, fiddles, and steel guitar, and called it Western Swing.

Ah, hah!
    Banjo Ukes: Southern Cross, Firefly, Stella
    Sopranos: Donaldson, Timms, Moku, Waterman, Bugsgear, Outdoor, Waverly Street, Harmony
    Concerts:Cocobolo #412, Ohana CK450QEL, CK-65D, Rosewood Vita, Mahogany Vita,
    Donaldson Custom, Epi Les Paul, National Triolian Reso, Republic
    Tenors: Kala KA-KTG-CY, KoAloha Sceptre, Fluke, Cordoba 20TM
    Bass: Fluke Timber

Am I done?

...Maybe?...

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ksiegel View Post
    Ummm...Didja ever hear of Bob Wills, and the Texas Playboys? They played Jazz and Big Band music... but did it with guitars, fiddles, and steel guitar, and called it Western Swing.

Ah, hah!
    Yes, western swing! I'm a big jazz fan and there was a time that I needed to give jazz a rest so I started listening to a lot of western swing because I was in a country mood. As I was listening I was shocked to hear how jazzy a lot of it was. It was country jazz!

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys were a top-notch group of musicians. Wills' sing-songy asides drove me nuts! You've got stellar talent in your band, quit interrupting with your nonsense! Pee Wee King and His Golden West Cowboys was another good group.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

The other difference between a violin and a viola is that the viola burns just that little bit longer.

How can you tell if the stage is level? The banjo player dribbles out of both sides of their mouth.

What do you call a musician in a suit? The defendant.
    Pete Howlett 'Deacon' - low G (That One With The Amazing Back)
    Gold Tone small bodied Tenor resonator - high g
    Kala Tenor resonator - low G

Also Mark Savoy G melodeon, Andy Norman DG Anglo, Alba & MK whistles, Dave Copley flutes and Jon Swayne bagpipes. Well, keeps me busy.

Hey! I like my Deering tenor banjo uke!

We have 12 banjo uke players in my ukulele club. At many open mike nights about eight of us play a song or two together!

Strangely, the other club members really enjoy it. They think it's fun to hear something different.

Even the other banjo uke players think that the Deering tenor is too loud. But they like my Southern Cross tenor a lot.

Enjoyed the jokes.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you donít begin to know until you begin to try to do.

óLou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Default Asleep at the Wheel

Ah, hah!
    And Asleep at the Wheel followed in Bob Willsí footsteps. I saw them often when they were just beginning. Ray is quite a guitarist.

Confluence of the Mississippi and Rum Rivers

I was told not to bring any banjos inside the house, I don't always do what I'm told, but I've pretty much held to this one, a little marital bliss goes a long way.....now if someone gifted me a banjo uke I would be remiss not to accept such a gift graciously.

If I wanted to be mocked, I'd try playing guitar again.

I sat in with a group of Old Time Players a few years back, and after about an hour and a half, one of them looked over at me and said, "Wait a minute - that ain't a banjo, it's a ukulele!"
    That's another reason I like the ukulele - nicer people.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information