Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travelling troubadour.

Default Travelling troubadour.

I have been cast in a madrigal dinner play as travelling troubadour. It is a renaissance Christmas Holiday thing. As everyone here probably knows, I like to busk. I feel like I've achieved something with this, I don't know what though. A travelling troubadour, does it get any buskier? Anyway, my favourite line in the play is when, after telling the king that I seek fame, fortune, and love, and he asks me how a lowly travelling troubadour such as myself propose to do so in the King's court, especially find love. And then I get to say, "a king is a king, but a travelling troubadour, your highhorse, is irresistible to the ladies." At which time I play my lutulele and sing a song. Then all the ladies of the court give me coins and candy and make me sit with them at the royal table, much to the king's consternation. This is going to be both scary and fun. Two performances and they are already sold out. Prior to the dinner the guests are outside the great hall and there is a grand entrance. While they wait I will be playing, singing, and mingling for their entertainment. I am a little worried about the costume.
    Last edited by Rllink; 01-09-2020 at 03:39 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Sounds like you are having fun.
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany GCEA Aquila Lava
    Beaver Creek BCUKEFM-T Tenor Maple Flame gCEA D’addario Pro Arte
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert Mahogany gCEA Aquila SuperNylgut
    Beaver Creek BCUKE-S Soprano Mahogany gCEA D’addario Black Nylon
    Ohana PKC-25G Concert Mahogany Pineapple gCEA Aquila
    Donner DUC-3 Concert Spruce/Mahogany gCEA Donner

CPM CT-Q2 chromatic clip on tuner
    Snark SN-4 tuner
    Donner tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    ...I am a little worried about the costume.
    Ladies love musicians in puffy shirts. You'll do fine. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    I am a little worried about the costume.
    How tight are your tights? I hope you don't have to wear a codpiece...

You'll be great. Ham it up and have fun.

Wish I had a troubadour a-sittin' by my knee,
    Playin' stately rhythms of the ancient balladry.
    If I had a troubadour, I'd signal with my hand
    And he would sing for you.
    He would sing for you until you smile.

—Tom Paxton
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Sounds great! Send pics!

And if all else fails: channel Danny Kaye!

<<At which time I play my lutulele and sing a song. Then all the ladies of the court give me coins and candy and make me sit with them at the royal table, much to the king's consternation.>>

Sounds just like your busking gigs in Puerto Rico, should be no problem at all!
    John

There must be at least a partial video of this, right?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    There must be at least a partial video of this, right?
    I had not thought about that. I'll bet there will be. There is much singing and several skits that go along with it. I just have a small bit. A half dozen lines and a song. Then later I tell a story. The main attraction is a chorus that sings a number of songs. They are very good. I was at rehearsal Wednesday night and the chorus is the real draw. The rest is just comic relief. Anyway, at certain times during the dinner I strum my uke for the ladies at the end of the table and maybe sing a little ditty of some sort. The king isn't happy with me at the royal table as it is, and he gives us the stink eye. The ladies giggle. In the script there are just yellow highlights over "troubadour". The director said just to do whatever feels spontaneous and natural. Something a little bawdy. Not too loud, just loud enough to get the King's attention. I'll have some fun with that.

I'm writing this and my spell check is changing king to kong. What's with that?
    Last edited by Rllink; 01-10-2020 at 08:59 AM.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

Have you seen the song 'Chastity Belt'? We do that sometimes for medieval banquets, getting 'volunteers' from the audience to join in. We're lucky in having quite a few castles and stately homes in the area, so opportunities for 'tights and feathery hats' gigs.
    Pete Howlett 'Deacon' - low G (That One With The Amazing Back)
    Gold Tone small bodied Tenor resonator - high g
    Kala Tenor resonator - low G

Also Mark Savoy G melodeon, Andy Norman DG Anglo, Alba & MK whistles, Dave Copley flutes and Jon Swayne bagpipes. Well, keeps me busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Hurst View Post
    Have you seen the song 'Chastity Belt'? We do that sometimes for medieval banquets, getting 'volunteers' from the audience to join in. We're lucky in having quite a few castles and stately homes in the area, so opportunities for 'tights and feathery hats' gigs.
    I will try and find it, thanks. I can do a lot of stuff, but absolutely none of it is renaissance. But they asked me to do an amusing parody, so I worked up a song for that. I played it on Wednesday, and they liked it. So at least I have my big number out of the way. We do not have castles or stately homes in our neck of the woods. We have barns, machine sheds and farm houses. This dinner play is in a church. They do it every year. My wife has done them before. This is my first. I'm scared to death, but that's okay.

Thread Information