Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travelling troubadour.

PM me if you get stuck and I'll ask a friend for a copy. Sounds like you won't have the challenges we have from rowdy audiences, but I can pass on some ideas that have worked for us if you like. I'm sure 'Dr Gig' will cut in, and you'll have a great time!
    Pete Howlett 'Deacon' - low G (That One With The Amazing Back)
    Gold Tone small bodied Tenor resonator - high g
    Kala Tenor resonator - low G

Also Mark Savoy G melodeon, Andy Norman DG Anglo, Alba & MK whistles, Dave Copley flutes and Jon Swayne bagpipes. Well, keeps me busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Hurst View Post
    PM me if you get stuck and I'll ask a friend for a copy. Sounds like you won't have the challenges we have from rowdy audiences, but I can pass on some ideas that have worked for us if you like. I'm sure 'Dr Gig' will cut in, and you'll have a great time!
    Like I said, my role is a minor one. The director of the production and the chorus leader are the ones, and they have already scripted it. They have left room for the individual actors to venture off script a little if they wish, but I'm thinking that except for re-phrasing some of my lines, I'll be staying on script.
    Last edited by Rllink; 01-10-2020 at 09:45 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

The Chastity Belt song seems like it might be a perfect fit. (No, I didn't say that.) I'd love to find that for an open mic song.

But if it doesn't work for you, Fairport Convention did a lot of updated traditional English songs to more of a folk Rock sound. I always liked "Misty Moisty Morning." Lots of their songs' music are online. Maddy Prior has continued in that vein with some solo or duet albums. Some can be quite suggestive.

Oscar Brand collected "bawdy" songs and released a couple of album collections of them. More American folk-ish.

The Baltimore Consort and The Merry Companions released a CD of Renaissance songs called: "The Art of the Bawdy Song". Very authentic, but they may be too difficult for the audience to understand easily. Much like singing the songs in a Shakespeare production.

PS: I hope your friends and relatives fared okay with the earthquake in Puerto Rico. PR has been through a lot.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 01-10-2020 at 10:03 AM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    The Chastity Belt song seems like it might be a perfect fit. (No, I didn't say that.) I'd love to find that for an open mic song.

But if it doesn't work for you, Fairport Convention did a lot of updated traditional English songs to more of a folk Rock sound. I always liked "Misty Moisty Morning." Lots of their songs' music are online. Maddy Prior has continued in that vein with some solo or duet albums. Some can be quite suggestive.

Oscar Brand collected "bawdy" songs and released a couple of album collections of them. More American folk-ish.

The Baltimore Consort and The Merry Companions released a CD of Renaissance songs called: "The Art of the Bawdy Song". Very authentic, but they may be too difficult for the audience to understand easily. Much like singing the songs in a Shakespeare production.

PS: I hope your friends and relatives fared okay with the earthquake in Puerto Rico. PR has been through a lot.
    Beyond my main song, the king is going to cut me short with a glare when I start in, so I only need to remember a few lines.
    I'm only supposed to be an annoyance, and then only when the script calls for it.

Thanks for the thoughts about PR. All of our friends are safe and accounted for. San Juan just got the shakes. They are on the north. The southern coast got hit hard.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

I am happy to say that I can add travelling troubadour to my resume. That, and they had a story telling part that they needed someone to step into at the last minute and I got that too at the dress rehearsal, so that was fun as well. All I had to do is read it with expression. There were forty eight tickets sold for the Saturday evening performance and sixty some for the Sunday one. No video, dang. But I do have a picture of a lady of the court and myself. It was great fun and quite the experience.

Mad 1.jpg

Sounds like a smashing good time. You look great!

Wow! Nice picture, Sir Troubadour! You and your good lady look just like people in one of my medieval literature tomes. Congratulations for the look anyhow. I’ll wager you both had a royal time at the fest.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Congratulations! Hope it leads on to more work.

Trumpets next?

330.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pete Howlett 'Deacon' - low G (That One With The Amazing Back)
    Gold Tone small bodied Tenor resonator - high g
    Kala Tenor resonator - low G

Also Mark Savoy G melodeon, Andy Norman DG Anglo, Alba & MK whistles, Dave Copley flutes and Jon Swayne bagpipes. Well, keeps me busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Hurst View Post
    Congratulations! Hope it leads on to more work.

Trumpets next?

330.jpg
    Probably not trumpets, I like to sing.

I’ll bet I could play one of those. I usta play in a drum and bugle corps.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBE - Finger style
    Gold Tone “Mini” Travel banjo - Steel GCEA - Noodling
    Luna “Peace” concert - CGBD Plectrum music

Kala tenor eight string - gGcCEEAA Strum

Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA - Wall hanger
    Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B Wall hanger
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano - Wall hanger
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - Bookshelf

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Thread Information