Ukulele Related News from NAMM 2020

Although I do like Elvis and his music, I'm not sure I would want to buy the Elvis ukulele. Maybe just the Blue Hawaii one to hang on the wall as a decoration.

I don't think it's much different from buying a Beatles or Grateful Dead ukulele. Just depends upon which music you like and who you idolize.

Gotta get back to my Bob Hope ukulele now. It works well with my Bing Crosby...

Ok, I went back to NAMM today. and wandered around beyond the uke floor. I saw a few interesting additional observations in case any one is interested:

1. Some German company was making ukulele tuners that look like Pegheds, but are not. They look like vintage pegs and they thought they would cost around $100 for a set.
2. Ratio Tuners Tune-a-lele are sending a lot of tuners to Kala and are selling them to the public. I think the cost is $29.95. They are also making them in colors. I saw a gold plated one and an all white one. The white one is pictured below.
3. Cling-on makes a $20 tuner, but they also have a detachable sound-board amp. You put some putty on a magnet and insert it into your sound hole and hold it against the sound board. The plug in with a wire attached sticks to the magnet on top of the sound board and plugs in to an amp. Sounds pretty good without having to drill holes. The reps said that you could remove the putty and magnet inside the uke if you wanted so it is not permanent.

View attachment 124580View attachment 124581View attachment 124582

I have to give props to Ratio Tuners. It is quite phenomenal how fast their product has become known and caught on with both consumers and manufacturers.

However, if I thought the black tuners looked plastic, and I do, those all white tuners look awful and ultra plastic-y. Other than an all-white uke, I can't imagine where you would use those.

I shudder at the thought of their gold tuners. I seem to remember a plastic uke I had as a child and the "gold" coating on the tuners began to flake off the black plastic underneath withing a couple of weeks. I hope they at least buffed off the mold seams before they plated them. Nothing says cheap faster than a metal-like coating over a piece of plastic that still has flash or mold seams. It calls attention right to them.

Hmmmm........so this is really more like the carbon Outdoor Ukulele, not the Klos. And I wonder what exactly is meant by an "HPL" neck"? Though whatever it is, it does appear to have metal frets, which is good. Hate the silly case, and their weird single strap button system. And I would think you'd have a hard time finding a big bag to fit that unconventional shape. But I love the colors, and it does look like fun.

Yes, I can't help but think that the "Space Case" will be a nightmare for static electricity and dust with that clear plastic window in the top. For sure it will scratch relatively easily.

Though I do kind of like the design of the case with the design of the uke. Definitely sets the brand apart from all of the others.

You kind have to look the other way. I can guarantee you that when I was 10 years old, I would have picked one of these Fenders over a Kamaka any day of the week, no matter how meh they sound. They know their market and it's not us.

I do hope that all of the colorful graphics and dyed woods will attract younger players to the ukulele. Get them interested and become lifelong enthusiasts.

My first ukulele was a Fender Nohea tenor that I bought from Amazon. It was "all-Koa," which I had read was one of the best woods for a ukulele. (I didn't know the code yet that it meant it was a very thin layer of koa over laminate.) It attracted my eye because the headstock design was different and stood out from all of the others.

I knew nothing about Fender Stratocaster Guitars or anything, but I had heard the Fender name. And figured it must be a good maker. It was a ok laminate that desperately needed a setup. It was built like a tank. I took it on several car trips. And it now resides in a USO center at our local airport.

Our beginner table "loaner" ukes had several Luna ukes and they were always the first ones snatch up by the younger players because of the graphics on the soundboards.

Last edited:
You kind have to look the other way. I can guarantee you that when I was 10 years old, I would have picked one of these Fenders over a Kamaka any day of the week, no matter how meh they sound. They know their market and it's not us.

Well a positive spin on the new Fender ukes is that when they show up at Guitar Center they can't help but be better than the house brand Mitchell ukes they sell now.

Last edited:
Last year the Rebel ukes made a big splash. Did they show anything noteworthy? When I was at the KoAloha factory a few weeks ago they had the Opio electrified with built-in speaker and all sorts of effects. I thought they would show some of those at NAMM and surprised no-one had mentioned it.

I could be wrong, but not entirely sure they were there

Top Bottom