Ukulele Related News from NAMM 2020

Sorry to sound grumpy, but I've not seen much real innovation in the ukulele world for some time. Maybe there is no room left for more innovation?

It has been written that a nineteenth-century patent clerk once suggested closing the office, as everything which could be invented had been. His expectation for the end of novelty was premature, to say the least.

So it always is.

Thanks for sharing the pics and observations. I have figured a while ago that the vast majority of chinese ukes are all pretty much the same, and made in a bunch of interchangeable factories. The brand labels attached to them just reflect different marketing approaches and names. This does not only include the newer Chinese brands, but also the well-established brand names. The companies mainly focus on marketing and sales, and contract the manufacturing out to production companies that are often independent and can serve many brands, shielded from the public.

Haha. Yeah, I walked by a couple of different booths and was confused wondering if I already walked down that aisle. Same color schemes, same combination of ukes and cases, etc.

Trade-show booths can be very same-ish

Haha. Yeah, I walked by a couple of different booths and was confused wondering if I already walked down that aisle. Same color schemes, same combination of ukes and cases, etc.

Did Gator cases bring a gator with them? I know they did that at one AV tradeshow (Infocomm in Orlando, probably 5 or 6 years ago). I probably have a photo of it somewhere.

But yeah, a ukulele looks like a ukulele and a guitar looks like a guitar. I don't envy the people who set up trade show booths for a living.

Did Gator cases bring a gator with them? I know they did that at one AV tradeshow (Infocomm in Orlando, probably 5 or 6 years ago). I probably have a photo of it somewhere.

But yeah, a ukulele looks like a ukulele and a guitar looks like a guitar. I don't envy the people who set up trade show booths for a living.

Actually, yes. There was a person in a gator suit. I felt sorry for that person

Kanile'a continued...

49396933948_b551e35fe2_k.jpg

49397489221_fe3955f198_k.jpg

49396937558_286d8ddfaf_k.jpg

49397704847_a9335b6f63_k.jpg

Is nobody gonna mention master Uke player Feng E in the back?!

I normally dislike blingy ukuleles, but will probably be the only person who likes the blue Kanile'a.
No chance of me buying it, (aside from what I assume will be a hefty price tag, Kanile'a necks don't work for me), but I'm enjoying the photos. :)

Thanks to all who are keeping us updated on what we're missing by not being there.

I normally dislike blingy ukuleles, but will probably be the only person who likes the blue Kanile'a.
No chance of me buying it, (aside from what I assume will be a hefty price tag, Kanile'a necks don't work for me), but I'm enjoying the photos. :)

Thanks to all who are keeping us updated on what we're missing by not being there.

You are not alone in liking it ;)

The HMS crew is surprisingly quiet, are they even there? I guess the KoAloha highlight will be their anniversary dinner/show. I certainly enjoy the live streaming from the Kamaka booth, they got the Aloha right ...

The HMS crew is surprisingly quiet, are they even there? I guess the KoAloha highlight will be their anniversary dinner/show. I certainly enjoy the live streaming from the Kamaka booth, they got the Aloha right ...

I saw Kalei and Andrew Molina. I'm sure they are probably there. Their productions are pretty high quality so they are probably working on editing and such...

Music-wise I'm barely just now peeking out from all things Neal Peart to take a look at what's getting posted about NAAM2020 / Uke, LOL
Can't be the only one...

I thought this was a funny little photobomb pic from DanY... Great photos from DanY!!
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 12.15.34 PM.jpg

Lava U introduced a line of carbon fiber ukuleles at a starting price of $399. Very attractive looking.View attachment 124492
View attachment 124493

That either looks like a very cool thing or a ton of marketing fluff.

From their website it looks like they start at $300 for an acoustic 23" model (I presume a concert). The 26" (tenor?) appears to be about $20 more. The pickup adds another eighty bucks.

That either looks like a very cool thing or a ton of marketing fluff.

From their website it looks like they start at $300 for an acoustic 23" model (I presume a concert). The 26" (tenor?) appears to be about $20 more. The pickup adds another eighty bucks.

Ah, so that's the uke Feng E is playing in one of his latest videos.

Hey everyone!

My first time at NAMM and it was everything that I imagined, totally awesome! Here was my point of view, hope you all enjoy!

New KLOS Uke with the carbon fiber neck, richlite bridge and fretboard, and upgraded tuners. Sales rep guy said it'll retail in the $900s.

49397461791_a82579cd20_k.jpg

49397720832_1be7a77e20_k.jpg

49397432306_4d77af300e_k.jpg

49397037053_e894ba3ab8_k.jpg

How does the All Carbon Klos Ukulele sound? Will production model have side markers on the neck? Looks like they did not opt for a hollow neck.

David

Top Bottom