Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Related News from NAMM 2020

all in all, a fun couple of hours. A couple of other observations:

(1) it is a madhouse there- tons of people.
    (2) The people at Boveda are really nice and offered me a cup of coffee.
    (3) The folks at Music Nomad are super friendly as well.
    (4) Saw a lot of our ukulele celebrities, including the folks from the Ukulele site, and youtube stars
    (5) The Gator pro gig bags are really nice!
    (6) Ohana had a huge display and they are introducing a tenor pineapple shape.
    (7) there were a lot of Chinese import manufacturers with what looked like the same import ukes with just different names. I didn't stop by, but they looked kind of the same.
    (8) There are way way way way more guitar people in this world than ukulele people. wow.

well, I'm not sure if I'm heading back this year. I wouldn't know where to start looking for other random things, like strings, tuners, etc. Hope my fellow UU forum users enjoy my pictures and observations.

Cheers!
    Rich
    Last edited by ghostrdr; 01-16-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Fair play to Kanile'a for pushing the boundaries this year - that seems to be my main take from what I have seen reported so far.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Fair play to Kanile'a for pushing the boundaries this year - that seems to be my main take from what I have seen reported so far.
    I'm not sure how blinging out a few instruments is pushing the boudaries really. There is something a bit 'Liberace' about Kanile'a these days.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

Quote Originally Posted by Counter View Post
    I'm not sure how blinging out a few instruments is pushing the boudaries really. There is something a bit 'Liberace' about Kanile'a these days.
    Well, it's quite different for Kanile'a and more 'different' than anything Koaloha have launched I can see. Plus I'd say a design like this is more than just a bit of bling? 82771876_10156527978336695_5578248939305435136_o.jpg

Of course, there is only so much you can DO to adapt a uke - but like what I am seeing from Kanile'a is all.

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

'Different' and 'pushing the boundaries' are not quite the same thing. It's true we haven't seen a Kanile'a with a soundhole on the side before but we have seen it on many other instruments for many years.

Talking of the.same but different, I've not seen any reports of the Kanile'a P1 yet.
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kamaka HF-2LD - Kanile'a Custom 5 string Super Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

Well, I suppose I should have written Kanile'a pushing their own boundaries... ho hum.

The workmanship is not in doubt, and I adore that curl. But I agree on the 'Liberace' qualities. Even their perfect gloss alone would make this better looking to me. But the colours literally evoke 'peacock' associations for me.

Check my double neck Cocobolo solid I had made, FB ukulele marketplace, also on Craigslist Salem oregon.had TWO made to my specs. [QUOTE=Colonel Uke;2203961]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    Ortega has a new version of their double-headed Hydra ukulele with laminated Ziricote wood and a Maple fretboard:

https://ortegaguitars.com/products/u...a-zs/hydra-zs/

I've been thinking of one of those double necks for awhile, but still not sold on the sound quality. I'd probably still go with the original. This one's a little too blinged out for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Well, it's quite different for Kanile'a and more 'different' than anything Koaloha have launched I can see. Plus I'd say a design like this is more than just a bit of bling? 82771876_10156527978336695_5578248939305435136_o.jpg

Of course, there is only so much you can DO to adapt a uke - but like what I am seeing from Kanile'a is all.
    I think the new Platinum looks awesome and indeed this is much more than "bling" for the sake of looking good, as Joe had a long story to tell about the meaning of it when I saw it at the factory tour last year. I think that the pattern is also made of very fine beach sand, as are many inlays on their upper-end models. I am getting the distinct impression that Kanile'a tries to position itself as the "premium" Hawaiian brand, as many of the ukes I saw in production at Kanehoe were custom and high-end models, with very few of their base ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrdr View Post
    all in all, a fun couple of hours. A couple of other observations:

(7) there were a lot of Chinese import manufacturers with what looked like the same import ukes with just different names. I didn't stop by, but they looked kind of the same.
    Thanks for sharing the pics and observations. I have figured a while ago that the vast majority of chinese ukes are all pretty much the same, and made in a bunch of interchangeable factories. The brand labels attached to them just reflect different marketing approaches and names. This does not only include the newer Chinese brands, but also the well-established brand names. The companies mainly focus on marketing and sales, and contract the manufacturing out to production companies that are often independent and can serve many brands, shielded from the public.

Thread Information