Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Related News from NAMM 2020

Kala is presenting a new Bamboo line of ukes, featuring a natural "blonde" appearance and a slotted headstock, no word yet if they are going to be all solid wood:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7RhJDGFdsU/

The lineup of three different sized Bamboo ukes can be seen at the bottom of the following picture:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7IKlM6g-s7/

According to Kala, the tenor will go for $149.99 USD.

I just ordered an Aklot bamboo tenor uke from China via eBay for $65 that looks exactly like the Kala, which convinces me that Kala has done what most all uke distributors do, take what the Chinese manufacturers offer and have their name put on. When I go to NAMM, it's the most common way business is done with Chinese manufacturers.

I wonder if the traditional term "solid" can be applied to bamboo, it's always pieced together side-by-side since a single piece is not very wide, and is it deep enough not to need some kind of backing?

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 01-14-2020 at 08:18 AM. Reason: I made a mistake on the price I paid, it's $65, not $90.

Just to be cheeky, i think Sigma will be releasing a copy of the GS Mini guitar. Love to know if it is any good. The GS mini is a wonderful instrument but way out of my price range even second hand so looking for a good copy

As above, wouldnt suprise me if made on same line as taylor gs mini but with different stamp

Edit - this post was originally a comment that different brands could have different Quality control in the same factory but realised i was talking from ignorance:-)
    Last edited by Davoravo; 01-14-2020 at 08:10 AM.

I'll check it out when I go to NAMM.

A friend who was on a religious mission to China bought a Sigma D-18 from the factory showroom. Said the quality of play was indistinguishable from the newer Martins he's sampled.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K • Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa soprano • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post

I wonder if the traditional term "solid" can be applied to bamboo, it's always pieced together side-by-side since a single piece is not very wide, and is it deep enough not to need some kind of backing?

Often thought that myself - and I would say 'not' - ie it can't be solid in the traditional sense - it is built up from many strips of bamboo. Incidentally, Kala announced this on their Facebook page and they ARE calling it 'all solid'.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    A friend who was on a religious mission to China bought a Sigma D-18 from the factory showroom. Said the quality of play was indistinguishable from the newer Martins he's sampled.

The Sigma ukes are certainly comparable to the Mexican made Martin ukes. In fact, indistinguishable also! Stands to certain reason as the Sigma models are all built using Martin build plans I believe
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Often thought that myself - and I would say 'not' - ie it can't be solid in the traditional sense - it is built up from many strips of bamboo. Incidentally, Kala announced this on their Facebook page and they ARE calling it 'all solid'.
    Yeah, I think that is deceptive at best. But it's also pretty obvious. Anybody buying "solid bamboo" should know what they're getting. I'm not saying it can't make a well playing and sounding uke, but nobody should be fooled into thinking "solid bamboo" means remotely the same thing as "solid koa" (or mahogany or spruce or mango, etc.)
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU
    Kala KSLNG, Eb SC XLU
    Hanson 5-string tenor, dGCEA
    Bonanza SLN GCEA
    Bonanzalele concert
    Guitars:
    Jupiter #47, G, TI CF127
    Pelem, A, EJ45LP

!Flukutronic!

Interested in the whole Bamboo thing. My take on solid bamboo is real strips, glued together. Yes, different from solid wood in traditional sense but different from a laminate which is layers of different wood and different directions of the grains. Also, not simple a pattern like HPL. I like idea. Curious to hear more sound samples and comments on both Aklot and the new Kalas. I would expect HMS to do a pretty good sound sample of the bamboo, if they like the product. Can’t wait for the video in the booth sure to be coming by HMS and others.

As every year, some new brands are trying to enter the ukulele market with a booth at NAMM, some more original than others who just bulk order from China with their name slapped on the headstock. Here are a couple new ones that I've spotted so far:

Orangewood guitars with a lineup of five different ukulele models:

https://orangewoodguitars.com/collec...ina-collection

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7G7MO1nuyl/

"Hawaiian Ukulele & Guitar" (or short: "HUG") is a company from the Big Island launching a line of ukes:

https://www.namm.org/thenammshow/201...go-wood-series

https://hugukulele.com/

Thread Information