Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Related News from NAMM 2020

New line of colorful heavy-duty gigbags from "On-Stage":

https://musicplayers.com/2019/12/on-...-at-namm-2020/

Ortega has a new version of their double-headed Hydra ukulele with laminated Ziricote wood and a Maple fretboard:

https://ortegaguitars.com/products/u...a-zs/hydra-zs/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B63XctWiBd_/

They are also adding a banjolele, a colorfully painted line of ABS Sopranos, and a laminated Ebony version of their guitarlele:

https://ortegaguitars.com/products/u...s-guitarleles/

Quote Originally Posted by Rakelele View Post
    As every year, some new brands are trying to enter the ukulele market with a booth at NAMM, some more original than others who just bulk order from China with their name slapped on the headstock. Here are a couple new ones that I've spotted so far:

Orangewood guitars with a lineup of five different ukulele models:

[/url]
    I believe Orangewood had already hit up (ie paid) the usual YouTube influencers to say nice things about them... which tells me all I need to know about the brand.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Looks like the trend of decorated ukulele bodies is continuing. Or maybe even gathering more headway.

Thanks Rakelele for doing this. It's always interesting, even though I sometimes ask "why?". Why would they do that?
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    Just to be cheeky, i think Sigma will be releasing a copy of the GS Mini guitar. Love to know if it is any good. The GS mini is a wonderful instrument but way out of my price range even second hand so looking for a good copy

As above, wouldnt suprise me if made on same line as taylor gs mini but with different stamp

Edit - this post was originally a comment that different brands could have different Quality control in the same factory but realised i was talking from ignorance:-)
    There are several GS Mini copies out already from the likes of Washburn, Enya, Dean, etc. etc. Baz has a review on the Enya Em-X1. I have one too and it's pretty nice. It's about the size of the GS Mini but the sound is more like the Martin LXK2 "little Martin" made of HPL. The GS Mini is higher quality with a better sound if you ask most...but that is to be expected considering the price gap.
    Maybe the Washburn version isn't out yet..not sure....M.F. has it for pre-order:
    https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...oustic&index=8
    I'd like to get my hands on one of those to try.
    I don't think any of the copies I know of have solid tops though.. So if someone does a solid top it'd be closer at least...
    I've owned the spruce and mahogany version of Minis and both were really nice. Perhaps just save up until you can get one of those if it's what you really want.

Also, in case you're not aware, Taylor owns their own factory in Mexico for their guitars. So nothing else is going to be coming out of there.
    Last edited by jer; 01-14-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    The Sigma ukes are certainly comparable to the Mexican made Martin ukes. In fact, indistinguishable also! Stands to certain reason as the Sigma models are all built using Martin build plans I believe
    I have a Sigma 000 guitar it is very good but the Martin equivalent is slightly better ,when Martin sold sigma they must of sold the rights to copy them because mine looks identical to the Martin .

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post
    I just ordered an Aklot bamboo tenor uke from China via eBay for $65 that looks exactly like the Kala, which convinces me that Kala has done what most all uke distributors do, take what the Chinese manufacturers offer and have their name put on. When I go to NAMM, it's the most common way business is done with Chinese manufacturers.

I wonder if the traditional term "solid" can be applied to bamboo, it's always pieced together side-by-side since a single piece is not very wide, and is it deep enough not to need some kind of backing?
    I would love to hear what you think of it when you get it. I'm curious what kind of a tonewood bamboo would make.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Not much to excite me in these posts. Looks like the same old deja vu all over again. But its still only Tuesday in California and the show opens on Thursday. It would be great to get to the show and see all the stuff in the flesh.

I am not really interested in finding out that the Chinese factories have signed up another merchandising company. Even bamboo is old hat, its been in use for centuries, Blind Freddy can tell the difference between a laminated top and a solid top when the wood is laminated in strips instead of thin sheets (ply). The relevance of NAMM is diminishing every year to me, obviously its an important part of the job for sales departments so it will keep going through the motions year after year.
    Didn't Rebel ukuleles make a big splash at NAAM last year? I'm interested to see if they, or Romero, or KoAloha have anything interesting this year.

There are definitely makers like Kamaka that I like, but I'm not expecting lots of innovation from. And brands that I'm not as excited about, like Kala or Kanile'a (sorry!) regardless of what they bring.

And it's good to see companies like Enya, who seem to be trying to deliver as much quality as they can at very low prices. Might not be my cup of tea, but I like that they're making an already accessible instrument like the ukulele even more accessible.

But I'm mostly interested in the middle to upper-middle "tier" ukuleles. Sort of that gap between Martin's Mexican and Pennsylvanian ukuleles. Rebels, Romeros, and KoAlohas being my favorite innovators. I would love it if some already established ukulele makers like Martin or Breedlove or Gretsch built some decent ukuleles at about where Pono or Rebel sits.

Well I think that the finished product on the KoAloha Silver looks absolutely stunning:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7UuznXH...=1rv4sd3ql31rg

No word yet on availability or pricing. I look forward to hearing about those with equal parts excitement and dread.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Quote Originally Posted by Cluze View Post
    Well I think that the finished product on the KoAloha Silver looks absolutely stunning:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7UuznXH...=1rv4sd3ql31rg

No word yet on availability or pricing. I look forward to hearing about those with equal parts excitement and dread.
    I like the looks of those. Like the dark fretboard & headstock. I know many won't like the tuners, but I never liked their friction tuners and always had them replaced with Gotoh UPTs. I'm fine with "rabbit ear" tuners.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Thread Information