Ukulele Related News from NAMM 2020

Looks like Fender is expanding its guitar-shaped uke collection with Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster shaped ukes

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/namm/?prefn1=type&prefv1=Ukuleles&

NOTHING SHORT OF ELECTRIC.
Tipping the hat to Fender’s iconic guitar body shapes, the Fullerton Series ukuleles are nothing short of electric. The Fullerton Stratocaster departs from traditional ukulele construction and aesthetics, while remaining faithful to Fender’s history. The Stratocaster ukulele’s pickguard, signature finish color options, and 4-in-line headstock can only be categorized as quintessentially Fender. The Fullerton Stratocaster is the perfect choice for the ukulele player looking to inject the spirit of rock ’n roll into every performance.

FEATURES

Stratocaster body shape
4-in-line Strat headstock
Fender-designed preamp system
No-tie bridge
Nickel hardware

BODY
Body Back
Mahogany
Body Sides
Mahogany
Body Top
Laminated Spruce
Body Finish
Gloss
Body Binding
1-Ply White
Body Shape
Concert Ukulele
Rosette
None

NECK
Neck Material
Maple
Neck Binding
White
Neck Finish
Gloss
Scale Length
15.04" (382mm)
Fingerboard Material
Walnut
Fingerboard Radius
Flat
Number of Frets
Nut Material
Synthetic Bone
Nut Width
1.38" (35 mm)
Position Inlays
White Dot

HARDWARE
Bridge
Walnut
Bridge Pins
N/A
Hardware Finish
Nickel
Tuning Machines
Sealed Nickel
Pickguard
1-Ply Tortoiseshell

MISCELLANEOUS
Strings
Aquila® Nylgut® Concert
Legal Notice
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm - www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.

ACCESSORIES
Case/Gig Bag
None

JUST what the world needs.. more Fender Ukes... ugh..

I tend to agree that some of the "news" are disappointing, as a lot is just new brand names being slapped on instruments from the very same Chinese factories we have already seen from other companies, or some of the established brands presenting nothing more than a different type of color or veneer to already existing models.

On the other hand, however, I'm pretty sure that variety and choice in the ukulele market has never been as large as it is right now, with some companies really pushing the boundaries of this instrument with all types of crossovers, shapes or materials.

One of the great innovators, to me, is clearly Pepe Romero with his Romero Creations line: First with the Tiny Tenor and the Grand Tenor, then with the Replica and several different Guilele models, and now with steel string versions of these Guileles.

Pono is another example of a company bringing a lot of fresh ideas, such as their Nui and UL models, or their chambered body electrics. Unfortunately, they are not having a booth at NAMM anymore.

Last year, Ohana presented a Tenor ukulele with a baritone sized body. Other companies who continue to develop their lineup might be Enya and Anuenue. Then there are new types of pickups, tuners and other gear.

So after all, in my eyes, there is plenty of innovation going on, providing us, the players and consumers of these goods, with plenty of options to chose from. For that, I'm actually grateful and looking forward to what they'll come up with next.

Kamaka is having many live stream performances on FB, and KoAloha group also posting videos and promoting Silver Anniversary models. So far silence on the Kanile'a channel it seems.

Ah NAMM fun stuff.......in my mind Bamboo in not wood.....this coming from a guy that used to sleep on a bamboo slat bed.......and I have bamboo laminatiations in my archery gear....so I know a thing or two.....but does it sound good.... what to I know.....and dang MIM... I like talking to you on the phone but when ya strum that KoAloha soprano it just sounds like.........open up my wallet.......for the professionals out there NAMM may be old hat.....but for us unwashed masses with access by modern technology it's kinda fun to look,,,,listen...see what the show is all about.....I mean common......yea gonna watch some playoff game.....political theater.....the end is near docu drama....or yea gonna strum....pick....and play your ukulele?????????????

1000 is a pretty large limited edition...

That was my first thought too. I wonder if they're all going to be koa, or if the limited edition will be split amongst different woods or even their premium labels, which already have ebony headstocks if I'm not mistaken.

Well, in the sense that they won't be making them next year, it's a limited edition and not a regular model. Anniversary edition might be a more appropriate term.

It is a limited anniversary edition. The limit happens to be 1,000 (500 tenors, 300 concerts, 200 sopranos) over three sizes. It is not their entire annual production.

Last edited:
I am going tomorrow (Friday) to look at stage lights and sound systems, but I plan on spending some time with some ukes. I will try to get some pictures!

Hey everyone!

My first time at NAMM and it was everything that I imagined, totally awesome! Here was my point of view, hope you all enjoy!

New KLOS Uke with the carbon fiber neck, richlite bridge and fretboard, and upgraded tuners. Sales rep guy said it'll retail in the $900s.

49397461791_a82579cd20_k.jpg

49397720832_1be7a77e20_k.jpg

49397432306_4d77af300e_k.jpg

49397037053_e894ba3ab8_k.jpg

KLOS continued - One more, sorry the forums only allow 4 images per post.

49397633892_3b85939b2d_k.jpg

Top Bottom