Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best fishing line guages?

Default Best fishing line guages?

Can someone please suggest the best type and thickness of fishing line for Tenor/Concert ukuleles?

Here is something that I cut out of some blog somewhere in times past:

30lb - Soprano / Concert A string
    40lb - Soprano / Concert G string or Tenor A string
    50lb - Soprano / Concert E string or Tenor A or G string
    60lb - Soprano / Concert C string, Tenor E string
    80lb - Tenor C string

So, now you have the test strength of the respective strings, but you're still back at the same old problem. Do you buy Berkley/Scientific Angler or do you buy something like Shur Strike which you could probably find at a convenience store. That'll run you anywhere from $100 to $15 depending on the quality. I personally use Spiderwire on my fishing poles, so I don't really have any insight on monofiliment.

I don't think there is any such thing as a 'best' set - it's all personal preference.

These are the ones I use, but as you will see they vary! I have most gauges on hand and regularly mix them up a bit

https://www.gotaukulele.com/2015/05/...s-ukulele.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

I agree, the choices are all about your personal preferences for a particular instrument.

I string my Kala Elite Doghair with a custom configuration: Seaguar Pink Label 40LB (.022") fishing line for the first string, 50LB (.026") on the second string and 80LB (.032) on the third string. I finish off with a D’Addario Dynacore .028" silver wound string string for the low G. I love this combo: sweet tone like Worth Browns, but slightly longer sustain, and customized tension to fit my playing style. The Elite originally shipped with much heavier strings (which I hated).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Fishing lines have a thing called PE Ratio. For fluorocarbon 10 (A) 12 (G) 14 (E) 16 (C).
    Where does low G fit into the equation? Thanks.
    "Life is short. Opera is long."

Anonymous

I use 90lb line on a tenor for that

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

There are folks selling the Seaguar Blue flouro line on ebay for $14.00 shipped, for a 25 yard spool, with various line strengths available.
    Seaguar.JPG

So if you got 4 spools of the tenor gauges below at $14.00 per spool shipped, you'd have about 37 sets of reentrant tenor strings, for about $1.50 per set, using 24" per string. Obviously, the spools would yield more sets for the shorter soprano or concert scales. Add spools of 90 lb for low G, and 30 lb for soprano and concert A string, you'll have all the gauges needed for soprano, concert or tenor sets, at about 1/3 the cost per-set of your typical Martin flouros at $6.00 - $8.00 per set. Personally, I haven't bought them all yet, only a 30 lb spool for soprano A strings that snapped. But if you have a ton of ukes and change strings often, or are a builder, it may be worth the investment. Of course, all this assumes you like the sound & feel of these strings, since you'll have so many sets available.

Tenor sets
    50 lb: tenor G string, or 90 lb for low G
    80 lb: tenor C string
    60 lb: tenor E string
    40 lb: tenor A string

Soprano or concert sets
    40 lb: soprano/concert G string
    60 lb: soprano/concert C string
    50 lb: soprano/concert E string
    30 lb: soprano/concert A string
    John

Just another warning with Seaguar sales online. There are a number of reported incidences of counterfeit Seaguar Blue on the market, sold by marketplace sellers on Ebay and Amazon. These tend to fail though kind of shredding along their length when new. I believe Seaguar made a comment about them and confirmed it was not their line.

I have been using genuine Seaguar (bought from a fishing shop in the USA and Seaguar dealer) for many years and never had that happen. I do know some people who bought it on Amazon though and have had issues I describe. Go carefully

Geez, there's fake everything these days!
    John

Baz, do you mind mentioning who the dealer is? I need line, and of a weird variety of diameters so I'm having some difficulty finding the right place to order.

thanks!
    -Ben

Thread Information