invisible glue lines

Timbuck

Reaction score
I have just recieved some reclaimed mahogany in the form of two very old drop leaf table tops..I have scrutinised them looking for the joints where the sections have been glued together so that I can nest the uke sections but! I cant see any obvious signs of jointing... they are 18 inches wide ...I have scraped them and applied solvents but nothing shows up..Could it be that they are all one piece? or is there a foolproof way of detecting glue lines without setting the wood on fire ? :)

Hmmmm. I’d try looking at the end grain with the same diligence. Trim or plane perpendicular to the top grain pattern, then moisten with spirits. I would look for any changes in pattern, or density of the pores... sounds intriguing. :)

I trimmed off a thin section around the rim,and the end grain became very obvious and showed that there were no joints ..both table tops were all made from one broad plank.
IMG_4530.jpg

I trimmed off a thin section around the rim,and the end grain became very obvious and showed that there were no joints ..both table tops were all made from one broad plank.
View attachment 124246

Very common back in the day, if that table were made in today's time it would be made of hard to tell how many pieces of wood.

View attachment 124246

Sweet. Didn't even think that it was round! Do you follow any moisture content parameters? I'm curious because as a woodworker who's occasionally scored some old walnut furniture that was difficult to rework because it was too dry (below 2%)... I.e., thinner cuts (for a laminate top) split/cracked easily. Just curious if something similar was a concern for uke sound boards.

Top Bottom