Selling Wood on this Forum?

Brett S.

Reaction score
Since getting a band saw this past year, I've thought of selling some tonewood here and there to help bring in a little extra cash from time to time. I put a couple of items out on Ebay and took a while to sell, but lo and behold the buyer turned out to a member here.

81945288_128983525247523_6817078074824196096_n.jpg

82581699_128983648580844_6805220013717323776_o.jpg

If this is not appropriate or a bad idea in some way, someone please let me know...

I currently have a pretty large piece of quartersawn walnut that could be resawn into quite a few sets. I may be able to let go of another set or two of that oak. I also have some African Mahogany, Douglas Fir, and a few other things.

I think it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to wood and other stuff for sale that goes on and on like the "whats happening in your shed" thread. Seems better to have it here than in the for sale forum

I think it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to wood and other stuff for sale that goes on and on like the "whats happening in your shed" thread. Seems better to have it here than in the for sale forum

Yes, agreed. That is what I was thinking. Selling surplus, trades maybe? Materials for newer builders.

I'm the buyer of the QS Red Oak you see above. It is quite striking in person, and Brett shipped quickly. I had the wood at my doorstep just a couple of days after placing the order. Many thanks.

I too have wondered why this not already a thing here.....

I like the idea...

I'm not a moderator but... I looked at the forum rules for selling stuff and I can not see where that would be a problem. The rules focus on people selling ukuleles in the "market place" forum. Nothing specifically about selling lutherie supplies. I think starting a thread dedicated to supplies for offer would work. If you are not in the market you could skip the thread. So why don't you start the thread Brett? Maybe a good title would be "lutherie supplies for sale". If a moderator has a problem with it, they could lock it down. The same rules for selling ukuleles would apply. See forum rules here:

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?85568-Ukulele-Underground-Forum-Rules

I think this is a great idea so I am going to give this thread a bump as I was hoping there would be a way forward/blessing presented by the "powers that be"....This would be a great way for the Ukulele community to interact and it is also a good way to have our resources spread out and be of benefit to one another. Seems to me that is the whole point of this forum....

Maybe there is some back-channel discussion going on that we do not know about or maybe its ok and there is just not an official blessing given....Either way .....Can we hear from someone about how this can be set into motion or why it can not?

I would think something like a sticky could be put up at the head of the luthier lounge so it is easy to find and access but whatever works for those who have to moderate and manage works for me....

It is one of those grey areas that we would like cleared up and folks are trying to go about it in a good way by asking for a blessing from the folks who make this all possible....

So thank you in advance for taking the time to not only keep this forum running (as I know you all work hard at doing so) but by looking at this as an option.

I've been thinking about this again lately, and I agree that a sticky would be a good idea.

Although I am not a luthier, I think this is a great idea. Many of the UU members are pre-vetted.

I would suggest a Ukulele Parts/Luthier Marketplace board, rather than a single sticky thread.

Last edited:
I'd suggest just starting a new ongoing thread like the "What's happening in your shed", but title it "Wood for Sale" or something like that, and do a permanent "Sticky" at the top the luthiers lounge page. (see attached)

Screen Shot 2020-02-29 at 5.38.19 PM.jpg

A whole new link won't be as good...ie as easily viewable cuz i just bookmark this page (luthiers lounge) and never look at other pages. I presume others do the same, but i might be totally wrong.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread again to see if a moderator will consider adding a new "Wood or Supplies For Sale" thread to the Sticky area of the Luthiers Lounge....

Maybe there is a specific process that one needs to go through to get this to happen? but I do not know of one....

Again I think that this could be a great way to interact as a community of Luthiers/Builders....

Top Bottom