Hello from long term Lurker.

VintageGibson

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I've been lurking around here for a few years and think it's about time I joined in.
I got my first uke in 1968, a cheap Chinese import. If I remember correctly the brand was Skylark and came with gut strings and wooden violin style tuning pegs, but I managed to learn a few songs and felt able to move to a more upmarket version about a year later. (The Skylark cost me £1, new one was £2.50)
Anyway, I've been paying uke off and on since then, but my main instruments are guitar, and banjo with occasional mandolin and harmonica.
Around 2007 I built a pair of StewMac sopranos and these are my main go to ukes one tuned to C the other to D. I occasionally use a BU and concert and recently acquired an Enya Nova. Not really into the larger uke sizes or UAS generally, more into GAS.
My main interest in uke playing is Tin Pan Alley type material, no big objection to pop or rock, but TPA chord sequences tend to be more interesting and there are already plenty of uke players causing GBH to classic rock songs.

Regards
VintageGibson

Welcome to UU, VG! I recently acquired a 1928 Gibson soprano. It needed some serious work to get it in playing condition, but I enjoyed the challenge and the result was well worth the effort. It's a little sweetie!

John Colter

Thanks to all for the welcome.

JC; it was your threads on StewMac builds at another place that inspired me to "build". At the time the exchange rate was very favourable, so I bought two for about £120 including postage and customs duty.

Vintage

Crikey,VG! That was more than a dozen years ago. I must be getting old! I'm glad it worked out well for you.

John C.

Welcome to the UU, Vintage Gibson! If you are into Tin Pan Alley type music, google “New Orleans Jambook”. It's a collection of music put together by Lasse Collin, a Swedish clarinet player. The PDF contains over 1000 songs, so it's a big file and takes a bit of time to download. But it's an amazing collection of music and well worth the wait. I have lost a great many hours down this particular rabbit hole, but what a joyous time it has been. :)

Jan

Jan D
Thanks for that, certainly a great collection, but those that I have checked out consist of the Refrain only.
My preference is to do an arrangement that contains at least one Verse as well as the Refrain.
Over the years I've trawled various American university archives for original sheet music.
Another great resource is Ian Chadwick who contributes here occasionally.

Vintage

Top Bottom