Thread: Worth BF strings

Default Worth BF strings

Anyone tried the Worth BF strings? What did you think? I have a set on the way. They are Worth Browns, just fatter than the usual tenor BT Worth Browns, closer to Martin M620 gauge. I have a tenor uke that is kinda jangly, so I wanted to possibly tone that down a bit, and maybe get a bit more volume.
    John

I hated them for the same reason as you'll love them: they were stiff. I think they'll accomplish everything you want. The tone I want is muddy--jangly without the jangle. Those BFs made my ukulele chime-y and those strings weren't very bendable. So, as I said, I think they'll work for someone wanting a big sound with sustain from strumming.

I use them on my Kala Koa Elite tenor. Oddly, I use the low G low (the .0358") as the C string and install a .030" silver wound as a low G. Fat 'n sweet tone and I can hit them a bit harder than most strings. I have the low G set up at 2.5mm at the 12th fret—I should have gone with 2.75mm or 3mm and I could have used a little lighter strings.
    Last edited by gochugogi; 01-14-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Tried a set of the Brown Fats on my mahogany tenor. They did seem to cut the jangle of the Martins a bit, yielding a rich, sweet tone. Only problem was I kept getting a buzz on the C string, frets 2-6, very strange. I loosened and re-tightened, making sure to get it seated in the nut well, even tried some graphite in the nut slot, but couldn't get rid of that buzz. Probably wasn't the nut anyway. That Fat Brown C string is actually a tad smaller than the Martin M620 that it replaced. Very strange, maybe tension related. Anyway, I just put back the clear flouro M620 C string, and it sounds great, no buzz. I don't mind mixing strings, as long as it sounds good.
    John

Thread Information