Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kmise conversion

Default Kmise conversion

Had a spare set of Ratios here. I was going to use them on another tenor, but the headstock on that one ended being too thick, a mongo 14.5 mm, when max for Ratios is 13.5. So I installed them on my cheap Kmise tenor instead, replacing the stock geared tuners with pearly buttons. I love the look, and much prefer tuners out the back. This is also the only tenor I've had where I prefer Aquilas, they sound great on this one. I bought it on a lark, to see how good (or bad) a $43.00 tenor could be, and thought I'd be gifting it. But no way, this one sounds and plays great, so it's staying right here with me.

20200110_160701.jpg
    20200110_223433.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-10-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    John

Love it when you play with something and it comes out so much better than you thought it would.

I would like to try this on my Kmise, did it require enlarging the hole and do you have a photo of the back that you could share. Thanks in advance.

Nice result. Did you fill in the remaining holes on the back of the headstock? I've used wood filler and then colored it with one of those furniture sticks.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Curious to see back of head stock picture. As noted above did you ream hole for tuners?
    Thanks

I only needed to ream a very slight amount on the front holes to fit the black Ratio bushings, only 4-5 turns of the reamer, to remove about 1mm of wood there. I probably could have used the existing bushings, but they were chrome, and wouldn't match the black Ratio tuner posts. Haven't filled the holes on the back, not sure if I'll bother. It's a good sounding uke, loud with good bark & chime. Here's the first song I recorded on it: https://youtu.be/1T9ywaNZfU0

20200111_133039.jpg
    20200111_133007.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 01-11-2020 at 07:08 PM.
    John

Thanks John for the photos and update. I like my Kmise tenor a lot also.

Nice job. Thanks for update. I’d just put some black screws in the holes left. I did that on a guitar once and it was simple and easy. I never noticed screws again. Looks like you got a good Uke. Have fun!

Way to go. I just love modding my ukes....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    I only needed to ream a very slight amount on the front holes to fit the black Ratio bushings, only 4-5 turns of the reamer, to remove about 1mm of wood there. I probably could have used the existing bushings, but they were chrome, and wouldn't match the black Ratio tuner posts. Haven't filled the holes on the back, not sure if I'll bother. It's a good sounding uke, loud with good bark & chime. Here's the first song I recorded on it: https://youtu.be/1T9ywaNZfU0

20200111_133039.jpg
    20200111_133007.jpg
    It sounded great. Nice bluesy playing and singing of that song. Enjoyed it.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Thread Information