Thread: Effect of stiffer strings on tone and volume

Default Effect of stiffer strings on tone and volume

Hi all

I am looking at 3/4 classic or nylon syringed instruments. Most of them in the shop have slacker strings due to the short scale. Also a bit quiet. I am trying them out and trying to imagine how stiffer strings would sound. Does anyone have an idea of a general rule or on average how stiffer strings would sound, especially in terms of more or less muddy when strummed and effect on volume? Thanks y’all.

Quote Originally Posted by Davoravo View Post
    Hi all

I am looking at 3/4 classic or nylon syringed instruments. Most of them in the shop have slacker strings due to the short scale. Also a bit quiet. I am trying them out and trying to imagine how stiffer strings would sound. Does anyone have an idea of a general rule or on average how stiffer strings would sound, especially in terms of more or less muddy when strummed and effect on volume? Thanks y’all.
    I own a Cordoba Cadet which is 3/4 size. I bought it used and the strings seems old and a bit dead or dull sounding. I restrung it with high tension Savarez fluorocarbon strings to increase tension, it worked. The sound was much louder and brighter, really much better over all.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Thanks, you are a great resource. Thank for all your answers to my questions. it was the cadete i was specifically thinking of, just needs a few percent more note separation and sparkle for my style of playing.

EDIT: tried the yamaha cs40 ii 3/4 today, very easy playing instrument if not quite as rich as the cordoba cadete. Does not have a truss rod, the salesman thought the strings were stiff enough but also said the neck would rise with higher tension strings, even with nylon. Not sure whether to believe him.
    Last edited by Davoravo; 01-11-2020 at 06:43 PM.

Thread Information