Flight Diana Soundwave Tenor Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the review, nice uke!
But what's that type of pickup really for?
I watched it twice, did I miss something?

Recording with? Giving you a range of sounds at your local jam / club? Just for personal enjoyment? Busking?

Wow, haven't seen that kind of electronics on an instrument before. Very quirky, and loads of fun I bet. Flight seems to be coming up with better and better stuff.

Also, nice review as always. I really like those short preambles you've been starting to do recently on the videos. :)

Thanks Dohle - yes, Flight just improve with each model they lend me! Very hard working team that seem to spend the year travelling around the globe doing research, meeting builders, players, and getting new ideas.

Was asked about USA dates on this one. Flight advise that the European sales are set to go and pre-orders through Musicroom will ensure delvery on launch in February. USA channels still being worked out - think their distributor there is Hal Leonard. USA date will follow shortly after.

just a word of caution on music room. Ordered the new flight long neck travel soprano, tus50l or something.
Paid and then.....void, no answer to my emails, no order status, no tracking number, silence.... then I checked internet for music room reviews....and they are many 1 star reviews......should have done that before...

paid with paypal, going to file a case against music room...

I'd get in touch with Flight direct. I had someone email me about a Musicroom issue, forwarded it to Flight and they played hell and sorted it out.

Thanks. Sent Flight an email with my order number..

Seems there are many many complaints on internet on Musicroom lack of service and response on people who placed orders. Would not recommend based on my experience so far.

That "Double" brand on the transacoustic pickup is the same brand that Enya says is in their Nova ukuleles. Now, Enya also sometimes advertises it as an "Enya Acoustic Plus" pickup, so either this "Double" company is a part of Enya or (probably more likely) they rebrand for all their clients. I'd imagine that we're going to see these become a standard feature across a lot of brands over the next couple of years, as we see with the Belcat pickups that have ended up on most inexpensive acoustic-electric ukes, often rebranded.

Interestingly, they also have an add-on soundhole-mounted transacoustic pickup available on AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000304861017.html

Here's a marketing demo from Enya, branded in their name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMHIQcdmEGU

I don't believe Double is part of Enya, but it is a Chinese company and probably offers their goods OEM.

But the Enya Nova trans system differs from the Flight - it doesn't have the delay effect. (the best effect of the three IMHO)

I don't believe Double is part of Enya, but it is a Chinese company and probably offers their goods OEM.

But the Enya Nova trans system differs from the Flight - it doesn't have the delay effect. (the best effect of the three IMHO)

Yes, it's the same brand but a different model. I assume that the thinline form factor and single-color design may have precluded using the thicker, black pickup on the Nova. Just pointing out that we're probably going to see a wave of transacoustic ukes with Double pickups coming in soon, especially if it's as nifty an effect as you and others have said.

I go to several jams with ukes and also other instruments and any amplification is strongly frowned upon/banned in this town, with exception of the bass.

It’s not amplified in volume. It’s actually no louder with the effects on than off. The power just drives the effects.

Thanks. Sent Flight an email with my order number..

Seems there are many many complaints on internet on Musicroom lack of service and response on people who placed orders. Would not recommend based on my experience so far.

Hello,

The issue should now be resolved, we contacted Musicroom. Hope you will enjoy your new TUSL50 uke !

thank you and sorry again to hear that you had to go through this.

Flight team

Just tenor at the moment - I heard they were considering a smaller one, but the pickup system is heavy and may be too much for a concert to hold.

Just tenor at the moment - I heard they were considering a smaller one, but the pickup system is heavy and may be too much for a concert to hold.

Thank you!
That makes sense.

Now all I need to do is decide between the cedar or ths spruce top....

Looks like several of my usual (EU) online stores are expecting these in a couple of months, so there is still time :)

Top Bottom