NUD: Jean Larrivée soprano

etudes

Reaction score
I keep saying I'm more of a concert/tenor player but here I am now with two sopranos. I was intrigued when this Larrivée ukulele came up for sale locally- my first nice guitar was from Jean Larrivée back in the 90's – really great man and guitar company. This is Model U-01 Koa made in 2000. It’s in good condition with just honest play wear- purchased it from the original owner. The strings are old but even still it has a beautiful warm voice- more guitar like than any soprano I’ve played. It will get some TLC over the next few days and I'm excited to see how it sounds with new strings.

Larrivee 1.jpg

Larrivee 2.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

Last edited:
Like the wood grain. Hope the sound with the new strings is wonderful.

Nice instrument. Back in the day I heard great things about these. I can't wait to hear more about it.

Congratulations!
I Like that wood grain too.

Congrats on your new Larrivee! I was interested in that one too, and even spoke to the owner about it, but I wasn't able to get up to Portland to give it a try. Glad the uke found it's way to a good home.

Jan

Congrats on your new Larrivee! I was interested in that one too, and even spoke to the owner about it, but I wasn't able to get up to Portland to give it a try. Glad the uke found it's way to a good home.

Jan

Thanks Jan. It's a small world when it comes to the uke community.

Last edited:
Being from Canada, I always wanted to support Larivee when they were in Vancouver. They make great guitars and ukes. I wish they made more ukes. I watched their new ukes come out a years ago with interest. HMS sold some for awhile. I don’t seem them around much unless it’s a very rare used sale and usually a 90’s vintage Uke. Not sure whatthey are doing now for Uke building. Wish they would do more. Your Uke looks great and I bet it’s really awesome.

Being from Canada, I always wanted to support Larivee when they were in Vancouver. They make great guitars and ukes. I wish they made more ukes. I watched their new ukes come out a years ago with interest. HMS sold some for awhile. I don’t seem them around much unless it’s a very rare used sale and usually a 90’s vintage Uke. Not sure whatthey are doing now for Uke building. Wish they would do more. Your Uke looks great and I bet it’s really awesome.

Their website still shows ukes you can order but the price list is a few years old. It appears they are still in the uke business which is cool.

That’s a very handsome uke.

Last edited:
Thanks! Looking for strings I happened upon a spare set of aNueNue Blackwaters (soprano/concert). The Larrivée soprano is a little bigger (than the Koaloha) with a deeper voice. I'm hoping the Blackwaters bring out a bit of depth for fingerpicking..

Top Bottom