Season 413: Jazz up you Standards

Autumn leaves chord melody

And here is a short chord melody arrangement of Autumn Leaves.

I have rearranged this from a guitar version I have been working on so it suits the baritone ukulele..

Lullaby of Birdland (1952) by George Shearing and B. Y. Forster. Ukulele arrangement and tabs by Fourbladeknife. I've started learning and practising this several times over the last two years, and I'm not done yet. But the learning process is still fun.

Entry number three, a shorty (you may need to whack up the volume) ………..

Thanks again for hosting this week Mads! It's been a great week of listening, and finally, I was able to find some time to learn this one from 1940 by Consuelo Velasquez, Besame Mucho ~

I wish you all a happy friday. We have 43 strong performances on the playlist so far. Keep them coming :)

Hello again, Mads, and a third one from me ... well, it's raining! Actually, this song brings back childhood memories for me. My Dad was a great fan of Danny Kaye, having seen him perform a couple of times at the London Palladium and had several of his records. I can remember dancing round the kitchen table to this on Sunday mornings whilst the 78rpm played on our old wind-up gramophone. (Oh, and big thanks to "Ratty" Astaire, who was airing his talents on Creative Commons and was only too willing to come and demonstrate the dance for me ... well, to be honest, I have absolutely NO idea WHAT he was dancing, but it sort of seemed to fit!)

Last edited:
Here is an original Seasons of the Ukulele song, albeit not one that I have written…

If ever there was a song that would deserve the title of ‘season’s standard’, I think it should be this one: Randy McSorley’s ‘Summer’s End’.

This is my jazzed up cover. Hope you all like it.

One of my all time favorite Jazz Standards.Chords transposed from Lyle Ritz version.

I promise this video is free of any and all attempts to sing like Billie Holiday (or Lena Horne)--On the other hand, no way could they go as low as I do here...

I thought I was done for this week, but the muse had other ideas.

Written especially for this Season, here is a comic little number about a guy with a harmless fetish.

I hope you enjoy:

Richard Thompson song "Al Bowlly's in heaven and I'm in limbo now"
Gave the song a latin beat. It could have used more cowbell :)

Most people grab a shower when they get in from work, I grab my uke...……….

I would be ashamed to tell you how many times I had to practice the song just to get it to this level. Could caption the song "how Fred's left hand doesn't want to do what it's supposed to....."

A huge instrumental hit for Perez Prado, which I don't much care for. It sounds so obnoxious. Pat Boone also recorded it, trying to vocally imitate Prado, so of course it sounds horrible. English lyric version a big hit for a guy coincidentally named Alan Dale.

I accidentally memorized this one, which is why my eyes are closed most of the time. I've done this one a few times at the nursing home, because it's another one that Carroll Sammons likes to play extended solos on.

this, a song written by Stuart Gorell (words) and Hoagy Carmichael (music) from 1930

I didn’t think I’d get time to do another, but this is only a quickie. I was working on a chord solo cover of the Juan Tizol/Duke Ellington tune, Caravan. Somewhere along the line it morphed into Merle Travis/Chet Atkins style picking, but it works so I kept it. I’m pretty sure Chet Atkins did a version of Caravan anyway, so maybe, subconsciously I was channelling my inner Chet :D

Top Bottom