Season 413: Jazz up you Standards

Hello again, Mads! This song comes from 1932 and was a hit on both sides of the Atlantic for singer and bandleader, Ray Noble, in a version recorded by South African singer, Al Bowlly. I found two verses for this after a lot of research, and then found out that they were not recorded in the original Al Bowlly version ... they are in MY version, though! As a matter of interest, I found them on this website, which I'd never seen before http://digitalcollections.baylor.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/fa-spnc (And apologies ... I didn't realise until I attempted to sing this at full volume that I am losing my voice.)

Last edited:
I have been absent from posting for a while because I have been very busy getting all my ducks in-line for the premiere of a new swing trio I am in. (First gig on 21. January!)
This involves A LOT of practice.
I was standing in the corner with my metronome practicing this tune, but after a while, I set down my uke because I realised it was mid-week and I had no idea what the theme was for this week. (Not that I was going to have time to prepare anything, mind you, I just wanted to know what my fellow Seasonistas were up to this week.)
When I saw the theme, I realised I could just point and shoot at exactly what I was doing minutes ago in the corner of my room.
So I did just that.

Here is a little interlude, relating to both Ryan’s season last week and this one. Amy Winehouse with a very jazzy acoustic version of Back to Black.

And now we are back...

Since my wife is away on a buisnes trip, I managed to find time for an extra song this week :)

I saw that Cee Jay beat me to posting this one, but I was already working on it, so here is my rendition of St. James Infirmary. Multi track ukulele and accompaniment by Band in a Box on bass and drums.

Hope you like it.

Classic use of II-V-I.

Hi Alan. Great rendition with lovely strumming and singing. For some reason your settings on the video is set as ‘made for kids’ on youtube (their new settings system) so I can’t comment directly on your video nor can I add it to the playlist. Maybe if you go into your youtube editor and click on ‘Not made for kids’ then it should be possible to get it on the playlist.

Cheers
Mads

Another Tin Pan Alley piece that later became a standard. I sing this sometimes at the nursing home in an extended version that also features my friend Carroll Sammons playing some solos on his electric guitar.

this, a lovely song i learnt many years ago from a Cliff Edwards rekkid

Hi Alan. Great rendition with lovely strumming and singing. For some reason your settings on the video is set as ‘made for kids’ on youtube (their new settings system) so I can’t comment directly on your video nor can I add it to the playlist. Maybe if you go into your youtube editor and click on ‘Not made for kids’ then it should be possible to get it on the playlist.

Cheers
Mads

Can someone check if this has happened to mine? I can't work out where to change it either.

Thanks to Rex, I was not entirely unfamiliar with Jazz Chords. Though I had to seek high and low to find the "lesson" he kindly gave me on them some years back. Anyway, after refamiliarising myself with some standard jazz chords for the uke. I worked on this chord sequence a few days back. But I just couldn't get inspired to write any lyrics for it. I thought it might work as an over exaggerated love song in classic 30s style. But the muse had other ideas and this morning gifted me this "typical Berni" social commentary. Inspired no doubt by a walk I took yesterday on which I saw an obviously itinerant busker... as well as some Senegalese guys trying to sell fake Nike & Reebok sneakers and reproductions of brand name ladys' handbags (probably made in the same factory that produces the ones that would cost €200 + in the high street stores.) The last verse drew on a memory of the lines of young Eastern European girls strung out along a local road that traverses the mountains.

Anyway, I hope these jazzy chords are enough to justify the inclusion of this song in the Season. Just imagine Ray Noble and Al Bowly doing a protest song and it'll be fine :p

Finally found a song which (I hope) fits the bill and which I can play.

Cheers
Mads

It was hard to find, but in the settings there is an audience setting. Successfully changed.

A lot of good music and the playlist has now been updated. I will continue to comment on each individual video tonight. Keep them coming...

Top Bottom