Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 413: Jazz up you Standards

Cheers for hosting this one mep. Here's a quickie from me that I'm fairly familiar with before I head off to work ………..

Last edited by mythinformed; 01-12-2020 at 09:01 PM.

One from Van the Man.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Wow, this Season is a bit of a revelation to me. When I think of jazz, I think of difficult chords, improvisations, modulations and transitions where I have no idea what's going on, crazy stuff way above my ability as strummer/singer. Much more than my usual repetitive intro/verse/chorus/outro stuff. But then I started looking at the lists provided here, and saw lots of songs I could probably play, and some I already know, although I didn't think of them as jazz. Fun stuff! Here's Summertime by George Gershwin.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    ..... When I think of jazz, I think of difficult chords, improvisations, modulations and transitions where I have no idea what's going on, crazy stuff way above my ability as strummer/singer. Much more than my usual repetitive intro/verse/chorus/outro stuff. But then I started looking at the lists provided here, and saw lots of songs I could probably play, and some I already know, although I didn't think of them as jazz.
    Not to get off topic, but when you think about it, most "standards" started life as a pop song. Jazz players take them and add their own unique vocabulary or chords with jazz voicing, extended harmonies, chord substitutions, etc. That is what gives each version its own unique flavor and allows a player to make it his/her own.

Check out this site that gives the "vanilla" changes, or the basic harmonies to the song, without all of the additions. http://www.ralphpatt.com/VBook.html

A number of years ago, Herbie Hancock did an album called The New Standards, where he took familiar pop songs and gave them a treatment as one would do with an old standard.

Here's my entry.
    The song "When I Fall In Love" was written by Victor Young (music) and Edward Heyman (lyrics). First hit version was by Doris Day in 1952, but the one I always connect this song with is the great Nat King Cole.
    Ukulele is the cheap Schaepe, still my fav uke.

Season of The Ukulele 413:
    Jazz Up You Standards

A wobbly uke and piano instrumental jam to a classic Nina Simone song. British viewers may recognise the tune as the BBC's theme to Film 75 , 76 etc insert year of choice. And why not ?

I had a few that a fancied doing today but then had another scan of the Wiki list and this title jumped out at me.

Existentialism from Tin Pan Alley? Surely not.

It wasn't. But I listened to Billie and then Ella sing it and thought damn what a song.

No chord sheets or tabs to be found so I do what I normally do in that instance, go on chordify, make note of a couple of chords used and then ignore it and make shit up. Pretty happy with what came out.

(hoping to get some Ink Spots in before the end of the week because that is an opportunity that should always be taken)
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

Also has anyone activated the Ukelite signal yet?
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

Oops, I wrote 412 in the video... It meant to say 413!

I hope it is okay.

I only recently heard this song, and I have been looking for a season to do it since.
    "A Sunday Kind of Love".
    Not all the jazz icons have done it, but I think there are enough versions still to call it a standard.

Also, first video shot with my "new" 2. hand camera.
    That continous focus doesn't work as well as I had hoped.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

this, an adaptation of a Lyle Ritz composition

Thread Information