Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 413: Jazz up you Standards

Hello again, Mads! This song comes from 1932 and was a hit on both sides of the Atlantic for singer and bandleader, Ray Noble, in a version recorded by South African singer, Al Bowlly. I found two verses for this after a lot of research, and then found out that they were not recorded in the original Al Bowlly version ... they are in MY version, though! As a matter of interest, I found them on this website, which I'd never seen before http://digitalcollections.baylor.edu...ection/fa-spnc (And apologies ... I didn't realise until I attempted to sing this at full volume that I am losing my voice.)

Last edited by LimousinLil; 01-15-2020 at 09:15 AM.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

"Just remember, if we get caught ... you're deaf and I don't speak English."

Video isn't there for me Val.
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

I just checked, Ryan ... it's there for me; although it took a while to come up. I wonder if it's just coming up for me and no one else????
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw

It's there now!
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

"I can't rock around the tree unless you rock around with me"

GOOD! (You don't have to watch it, though!) Thanks, Ryan!

I have been absent from posting for a while because I have been very busy getting all my ducks in-line for the premiere of a new swing trio I am in. (First gig on 21. January!)
    This involves A LOT of practice.
    I was standing in the corner with my metronome practicing this tune, but after a while, I set down my uke because I realised it was mid-week and I had no idea what the theme was for this week. (Not that I was going to have time to prepare anything, mind you, I just wanted to know what my fellow Seasonistas were up to this week.)
    When I saw the theme, I realised I could just point and shoot at exactly what I was doing minutes ago in the corner of my room.
    So I did just that.

Here is a little interlude, relating to both Ryan’s season last week and this one. Amy Winehouse with a very jazzy acoustic version of Back to Black.

And now we are back...

Classic use of II-V-I.

Last edited by SailingUke; 01-15-2020 at 11:29 AM.
    Keep Strummin'

Since my wife is away on a buisnes trip, I managed to find time for an extra song this week :-)

Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

I saw that Cee Jay beat me to posting this one, but I was already working on it, so here is my rendition of St. James Infirmary. Multi track ukulele and accompaniment by Band in a Box on bass and drums.

Hope you like it.
    Big Phil

Moore Bettah 55 VW Tenor
    Ko'Aloha Soprano
    Kanilea K1 Tenor Premium
    Kanilea Concert Hono Premium
    Pono Acacia Baritone
    Gold Tone Concert Banjolele
    Alida Archtop Electric Tenor
    Kala UBass
    Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor
    Philnominal Ukuleles Walnut Tenor