Season 413: Jazz up you Standards

Sunny Skies by James Taylor. Not a jazz standard, but always sounded very jazzy to me. It's real hard for me to do many 4-finger jazz chords these days, with various hand issues including a pinkie that doesn't work, so these 3-finger chords will have to do. This one is about as easy as it gets...a 3-chord wonder. Thanks Mads for letting me try this one.

Last edited:
Blue Moon by Rodgers and Hart. The Lyrics were the third set written for the same music. Wikipedia describes the origins of the song here and some of it's subsequent history. It crossed over into the pop world courtesy of Elvis Presley. A popular standard over the years. Not really any truly jazzy chords here but it plays very nicely, imo. I had something more jazzy planned but it became obvious I wasn't going to have it ready on time and I had already identified this as a backup.

It would be fair to say I'm a bit smitten...

This was quite an all fingers arrangement to learn so I left it too late in the week to do it any real justice . Backing vocals courtesy of 'Wesley' who decided to start nibbling on a chew right by the mic on the phone.

Last edited:
Season 414 has now started but if anyone has more to say (sing) then there is still time. It has been a blast to listen to all these great entries. Will catch up with the lates ones later today.

What a fun season! Loving those swing, I enjoy all old and new discoveries.
My cover was written 1941 by Matt Gordon and Harry Warren, presented by Glenn Miller.
It was the first song to receive a gold record, i.e. the first million seller ever.

this, an improvisation on concert ukulele
thank you for an enjoyable week of music Mads

bummed that I failed to get something together for this season. I was too ambitious with my song choice. :(

I love that so many jazz standards are in the public domain, so it's easy to find free sheet music. This lovely tune is in Lyle Ritz's Lyle Lite collection of chord solos, but this 1926 arrangement was much easier on my fingers and it's in a friendlier key for me, singing-wise.

I think I've made it just in time! Here's an original called 'On the Eve' that I wrote about the birth of my daughter. It's a jazzy piece with lots of II-V-Is, some 7s and even smattering of F# diminished chords! I hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: I just realised the summer Christmas lyrics might be confusing for the many northern hemisphere folks! Being in Australia I wanted to write a song that captured some of our southern hemisphere experience.

Last edited:
That's it folks... Season 413 has officially ended. Thanks to everyone for their entries, I very much enjoyed myself listening (and playing a few songs myself).

I will be back with a recap.

Hi fellow seasonistas.

Quite a few weeks have already passed since I hosted this season, so I thought that I might better get on with it and announce the winner.

First of all I want to thank everyone who took part, seasonistas old and new. We had 65 songs on the playlist and there were a lot of good standards, originals and improvisations, so thanks a lot everyone.

I did say that there would be a price, and that price is from ukulele jazz master Lyle Ritz. The winner can chose between either the Jumpin' Jim's Ukulele Masters book or the CD Lyle Ritz plays Jazz Ukulele: How About Uke? and 50th State Jazz... Your choice...

LYLE-RITZ.jpg

Well, there can only be one winner and I decided to award the honours to the one seasonista who "jazzed up the standards" the most.... and the winner is Mark C for his solo ukulele chord melody version of Stardust. Well done Mark and congratulations!

You can revisit Mark's performance here:

Mark, please contact me and let me know your choice and your postal address.

Nb. I haven't been able to take part in anything for the last few weeks... I have been hit by a LOT of Jazz Guitar lessons and therefore a lot of guitar practice... Anyway the end result should show both on my guitar and ukulele playing as well. That is my hope after putting all this effort in.

All the best and keep uke'ing.
Mads

Well this was a cheering surprise after a miserable third week with a chest Infection so thank you very much Mads and for the generous prize too.
Thanks also for the kind congrats messages guys n girls much appreciated xx

Last edited:
Top Bottom