Autographed Ukes

Jerryc41

Reaction score
After Taimane's performance last night, she was in the lobby, signing autographs and ukuleles for audience members. Of the seven people in my group, five brought their "Signature Ukes."

That something that's never interested me, but I'm wondering how many others have their ukes signed. I'm glad that Richard Konter had his Martin signed in 1926. : )

Just for laughs, I thought of buying a cheap uke and covering it with illegible "autographs."

Its nice to have a memento of a pleasant evening.

I would prefer a CD of the concert, bought off the artist.
. . . .

So maybe getting a signature is not such a bad thing.

I bought all three CDs, and had them signed.

I love the way she interacts with the audience, dancing her way to them. At one point, during her Surf Medley Finale, she walked up to my wife and me - less than arm's length away. One of my friend's sons was bouncing up and down afterward, saying "She came right up to you!"

(I do have a white plastic Aqualele that I get signed... I just forgot to bring it last night.)

I love the way she interacts with the audience, dancing her way to them. At one point, during her Surf Medley Finale, she walked up to my wife and me - less than arm's length away. One of my friend's sons was bouncing up and down afterward, saying "She came right up to you!"
)

Yes, I saw that! And she seems to make eye contact with everyone in the audience.

Getting a book signed by the author is often done and considered as something that adds value. Book sellers will sell autographed books.

For me having a signature on an instrument is different as the person typically has little to do with the instrument. The maker already signed the inside. But each to their own.

Getting a book signed by the author is often done and considered as something that adds value. Book sellers will sell autographed books.

I used to attend Science Fiction Conventions on a fairly regular basis, and regularly got books signed by those authors I enjoyed. One such author gave me a stack of his books, in appreciation of my doing him a favor. He had signed them all. He happily signed books for anyone who asked, and had done so for years. A book seller friend of mine was looking at the books, and noticed one had not been signed - so he held it up, waved at another book dealer, and yelled, "Look! A book by [redacted]! And it isn't signed!" The other book dealer blinked, and called back, "Wow! That makes it REALLY valuable!"

I loathe signed ukuleles and marvel at the prices people think they can charge by getting one signed by a famous player. A book, a CD or a poster is a much better idea.

I don't think I'd do it even though I've managed to get 300 autographs from basketball players over the years. Those guys used to sign a lot, but not so much anymore. I'd never buy one though. I could probably never sell them if I wanted to because no one would believe they're real signatures. For me it was the thrill of the hunt lol. My prize is Jordan.

To each his own on the uke. If it makes you happy, go for it. It might have been a cheapie uke bought just for that occasion.

I loathe signed ukuleles and marvel at the prices people think they can charge by getting one signed by a famous player. A book, a CD or a poster is a much better idea.

My signed uke is for me; it will never be for sale.

The most valuable signed ukulele I've ever seen is the Little White Uke that Pabrizzer sent out to UU members. It traveled the world, we played and signed it, sent it along, and it eventually made it back to him. I was a part of that project, and proud to have been. I don't know if any of us who signed it have become famous, but it was a fun thing to do.

Here's the link for it:

-Kurt

I'm not into the cult of personality, and find that, as with tattoos, a signature detracts rather than enhances. I'd consider collecting signatures on an inexpensive uke, repurposed for just that, but otherwise, no.

Like captain-janeway, I wouldn't buy a uke that was pre-signed—unless I thought I could flog it to some star-struck fool for several times my cost. The resale market for autographed items is rather bizarre to me. Indirect contact won't transfer even a smidge more talent or status to you.

I can understand someone being willing to pay big bucks for a uke signed by major entertainers. How much would a uke signed by Iz sell for these days? With many famous, legible signatures, people would be willing to pay. I'm sure the quality of the uke itself would make a difference. A $20 "signer" might not bring in as much as a KoAloha tenor.

I am not interested in the signed instruments. I don't think there is anyone's signature that would make it in the least bit desirable for me. In fact, it would be a turn off and cause me to not want the instrument, no matter what/who it is.

For those collecting signed ukes for themselves what is the best way to preserve the sig? If the sig is rubbed by playing it will come off. I heard clear nail varnish is best as it wont dissolve the signature but apparently after time it may start to crack and flake off

For those collecting signed ukes for themselves what is the best way to preserve the sig? If the sig is rubbed by playing it will come off. I heard clear nail varnish is best as it wont dissolve the signature but apparently after time it may start to crack and flake off

I have a Vita Uke that Jake signed for me, but it is still one of my players, and I've completely rubbed the signature off. No big deal for me - he played it a little, said he liked the sound, then signed it.. He's probably done that many times. My signer uke is strictly that- a uke to have signed. For me, as a memory uke.

For the average person who gets a uke signed, I believe that there is a very thin film to use as a cover - the same film is used to prevent scratching of the surface, and it supposedly doesn't impede the sound quality. I've never used it myself, but I've seen it discussed on UU.

I learned to play on a Kala thinline tenor with a spruce top. I quickly graduated to KoAloha, Kamaka and Kanilea. I decided that the Kala would be the uke I get signed. Daniel Ho was the first to sign, followed by Jake, Ledward Kaapana, George Kahumoku and many other Hawaiian music artists. My favorite is Uncle Richard Ho'opi'i just before he passed. I did purchase a Martin tenor from a previous owner who had Jake sign it on the back. That signature is almost gone now, which I am happy about. I want my signatures only on the Kala.

I have a uke that is signed by Jake, Kimo Hussey, Aldrine Guerrero, Ukulenny, Cynthia Lin and the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. I will treasure those memories forever. IMG_1283.jpg

I would use something like Krylon clear acrylic spray, but when would you spray it? Suppose you spray it and then have a chance for one more great autograph? When I paint - or have painted - a Flea or a Fluke, I spray it with that Krylon.

I asked Jake to sign the first uke I ever got. It's one I was never going to part with, so I figured, what the heck. And Jake is such a nice guy I was pretty sure he would sign it.

Flash forward about a year. I went to see one of my favorite bands, Poi Dog Pondering, at a club here in Phoenix. I took the signed uke in my car, just in case. I asked Frank in the club if he would mind signing my uke, and he was glad to do it, so I went out and got it. I give it to Frank and he says he has to find some light in the somewhat dim club. We wander around to find a lit spot, but I am wondering why he needs light just to sign his name. He sees Jake's signature and approves, then he flips the uke over to the back and starts drawing. He fills the whole back with a cartoon of a preying mantis and then signs it.

Way cool!

Just for laughs, I thought of buying a cheap uke and covering it with illegible "autographs."

Better yet, grab a cheap uke and have all your friends sign it. That would be priceless!

Top Bottom