Fretboard Progress

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I scanned what I painted and printed four copies on sticky white-background vinyl. Then I cut out cardboard templates for each space on the fretboard and duplicated them on the graphic. I used a paper slicer to cut them neatly. Now I have to clean the remaining glue off the neck and attach the fretboard to it. Before I do that, I'll spray the body with Krylon clear acrylic.

I'm not crazy about plastic fretboards, but I'm not ready to start making one out of wood. If I did, I would attach the graphic as one long piece and then cut slots for the frets.

I don't know if I'll be doing this very often, but it was an enjoyable project, and I know how to go about it if I want to try again. I have one or two more Flukes that I'd like to paint or decorate.

1 Neck Final Page.jpg 3 Neck Graphic.jpg 2 Neck Graphic Complete 2.jpg 4 Autumn Together.jpg

Looks great! I’m not sure I should show this to my wife: I could end up with a project for me to do!

Looks great! I’m not sure I should show this to my wife: I could end up with a project for me to do!

Thanks. I do a lot of projects just to see if can. Buying a graphic form Neck Illusions, or having them make a custom design for you, would be easier and quicker.

Nice Jerry. Very well done. Love the falling leaves down the fretboard.

Hey that looks like fun. Did you ever try any of the fretboard illusions? I think that came up once.

https://neckillusions.com/

Yes, I did. After reading about it here, I bought a Starry Night graphic. That led me to paint a Flea body like Starry Night. I wanted him to make a graphic for an Autumn Leaves Fluke, but I never heard back after two or three emails, so I made my own. I'd like to paint two more Flukes, but I need a subject. One has a wooden fretboard, and I wouldn't want to cover that.

Top Bottom