Buying Ukulele in Japan

Puglele

Reaction score
Specifically a Kiwaya brand. Is it cheaper in Japan than in USA?
Will go there soon so want to know where I will be able to see one or purchase one in the Tokyo area. Thanks!

Kiwaya is hard to find in the USA. Most of the cheaper Kiwaya's are not sold in the USA at all and the more expensive ones are just as expensive in Japan as in the USA. For your best selection, go to the Kiwaya store in Tokyo.

Specifically a Kiwaya brand. Is it cheaper in Japan than in USA?
Will go there soon so want to know where I will be able to see one or purchase one in the Tokyo area. Thanks!

I've got friends in Japan and every time I've looked at the prices of kiwaya there versus here (and I've done it a lot!) the savings has not amounted to much, if any, more than the cost of checking the uke on the plane or shipping it via DHL. Then add in the hassle factor. But if I were in Tokyo, I would definitely look at them, and maybe buy one, too. I hope you find something you like.

Yes, Famous is a Kiwaya imprint. They tend to have a lower price point than Kiwaya, which is weird, because the laminates of both are identical in design and build.

Rakuten sells some Famous ukuleles, but I'm not sure where you'd find their full line-up. There are some solid Koa models as well as the laminate ones, but none really look like rebadged Kiwayas. They seem to be a separate line. Mostly geared tuners and the ones I saw with friction tuners had tie-bar bridges.

I forced Google to provide more Japanese results by changing my region to Japan in the settings. One site said the Kiwaya brand was just for the export market and only started selling in Japan in 2015.

Last edited:
Rakuten sells some Famous ukuleles, but I'm not sure where you'd find their full line-up. There are some solid Koa models as well as the laminate ones, but none really look like rebadged Kiwayas. They seem to be a separate line. Mostly geared tuners and the ones I saw with friction tuners had tie-bar bridges.

I forced Google to provide more Japanese results by changing my region to Japan in the settings. One site said the Kiwaya brand was just for the export market and only started selling in Japan in 2015.

I think some of the laminate Kiwaya and Famous models are very similar. Famous FS-1 vs Kiwaya KS-1, etc.

I'm guessing in Japan a moniker like "famous" would market better than Kiwaya. Probably the opposite stateside.

I think some of the laminate Kiwaya and Famous models are very similar. Famous FS-1 vs Kiwaya KS-1, etc.

Similar, but the Kiwayas seem to hold more true to the Martin style - friction tuners and slotted bridge. Mind you, from what I can see online I think there are a lot of Famous models available, so maybe some are identical to Kiwaya models. I almost ordered an FLS-1 once - slotted bridge, but I didn't want the geared tuner look (which could be a selling point to those who dislike friction pegs).

I've got friends in Japan and every time I've looked at the prices of kiwaya there versus here (and I've done it a lot!) the savings has not amounted to much, if any, more than the cost of checking the uke on the plane or shipping it via DHL. Then add in the hassle factor. But if I were in Tokyo, I would definitely look at them, and maybe buy one, too. I hope you find something you like.

Hmmm I always thought there will be a huge discounts

Japan seems like an expensive country to visit (especially compared to most of the rest of east Asia), not sure how ukuleles would be the exception.

I've purchased from Ukulele Mania/J-guitar in Japan. You're not going to save a lot of money but they do have an interesting selection of Kiwaya and Famous, shipping is super fast and around $60, and the shop is run by an English-speaking expat who is very helpful. They also have a shop in Ikebukuro, and Kiwaya's shop/showroom is in Asakusa.

Last edited:
I've purchased from Ukulele Mania/J-guitar in Japan. You're not going to save a lot of money but they do have an interesting selection of Kiwaya and Famous, shipping is super fast and around $60, and the shop is run by an English-speaking expat who is very helpful.

You're not kidding about super fast shipping. Mine was shipped from a Rakuten seller via Japan Post and I somehow got it in two days. I'm not sure how Canada Post held up their end of the bargain, but that also included handling time for the shipper. It still amazes me how fast it was. As a comparison, items from China often get caught up in Customs for weeks.

Top Bottom