Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uke acquisition syndrome: tell me about yours and help me with mine

Default Uke acquisition syndrome: tell me about yours and help me with mine

Ok so I have UAS pretty bad. Id like to hear/ see yalls uke progressions and would love to hear what you looked for in the next uke and so on.

For me, I started with a Kala PWT and stepped up to a solid cedar top/acacia sided beauty that Im really impressed with. Im working on getting a banjolele and past that I think Id like to find an 8 string or a uke for dedicated low-g.

So, lets hear/ see your collection stories!

E07A96AE-2DC4-4C6C-A7EB-0C33B0FC5FDC.jpg

Ignore the bari, shes gone and the blue is the wifes

This comment from me summarizes why for me https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...00#post2202900

Discovered ukulele July 2017. Impulse purchase while on vacation at the beach. $65 Kala laminate hog soprano.

Months later, I still couldn't put it down, so, by October I had purchased an Ohana brand Martin style 3 clone. $320 solid mahogany concert.

Over the next few months, I had purchased two more sopranos, another concert, and a tenor, all of them reasonably priced ~400 - $500 luthier made instruments from the UU Marketplace.

By July 2018 I had six ukuleles, and I self-diagnosed with UAS. At that time I also had a custom tenor on the way. I was trying to figure out what different things the world of ukulele had to offer.

September 2018, custom tenor arrives. Sweet!

January 2020, same seven ukuleles no more UAS. Guess that last one cured me. Or maybe it was the dent in my budget? Either way, I'm one happy ukulelist and I don't feel like I need to purchase anything right now. And even so, I have noticed that I still browse the UU Marketplace and several online uke shops frequently.

Well, you know it's time to stop when the case stack bumps against the ceiling! Still, it's less expensive than a drug habit or collecting sailboats, motorcycles, guns or mistresses, so you could do much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    Still, it's less expensive than a drug habit or collecting sailboats, motorcycles, guns or mistresses, so you could do much worse.
    I might try that line with my wife. Wish me luck!!
    Soprano: Ohana SK-38 (Mahogany)
    Concert: Barron River (Curly Maple)
    Tenor: Pono PKT-2E (Koa) / Romero Creations Replica (Spruce/Acacia)

Only 3! It is a very mild case of UAS, over 20 is when you realize you have it.

UAS ??? Tell me about it!

First uke in 1977...... the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by ricfreak View Post

First uke is the one without strings..... bridge has lifted.

In June of 2013 I was leafing through a Musician's Friend magazine and came across a ukulele that looked like the Fender Telecaster electric guitar I recently bought. The uke was only $60 and I thought it would look cute hanging next to the Tele. About 2 weeks later I received a post Card from the Los Angeles Music Center announcing their annual summer Play-Along series, which I did a couple of time for guitar, but this time it was for ukulele. I thought since I had one, I'd go for it.

It required learning a few chords, but when I tried them online, I discovered it was rather difficult forming the chords compared to my full size guitars. I looked up ukes and discovered mine was a soprano, and that tenor tends to be recommended for guitar players. So I went over to my my local Sam Ash and bought a Lanikai quilted ash tenor cutaway with electronics.

Being a major gadget freak, in the next year I went through 16 ukes, but when Mim recommended a Kala solid top cedar, I realized the shortcomings of most of the others and sold or gifted all but 4. Since then I've been more discreet and after over 6 years, I'm up to 9, one on it's way, an all bamboo tenor cutaway to replace a tenor walnut Fluke I bought here in the Marketplace that I ultimately don't like.

A year after starting uke, I took up bass uke. That's where gear acquisition syndrome really took me over. I'm up to 32 bass uke/mini bass guitars and loving every minute of it. Many are short scale guitars that I had converted to basses, it's become my hobby since retiring at the same time I started playing uke. You asked for photos, here they are.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Thread Information