Uke acquisition syndrome: tell me about yours and help me with mine

Ok so I have UAS pretty bad. I’d like to hear/ see y’all’s uke progressions and would love to hear what you looked for in the next uke and so on.

For me, I started with a Kala PWT and stepped up to a solid cedar top/acacia sided beauty that I’m really impressed with. I’m working on getting a banjolele and past that I think I’d like to find an 8 string or a uke for dedicated low-g.

So, let’s hear/ see your collection stories!

View attachment 124362

Ignore the bari, she’s gone and the blue is the wife’s

Started with a Kala, moved up to a Pono MTD, got a Banjolele and then a 8 String Oscar Schmidt OUT8. Regret not getting the 8 string with the pick up. Then get a Roosebeck Baroque e leledownload.jpg

Last edited:
UAS ??? Tell me about it!:p
e005338b75583fa4e82fd86b068dfd16ed78ba5a.jpg

First uke in 1977...... the rest is history.

That's a nice assortment.

How does that bamboo one, lower left , play. I see the black uke top right, who made that one? You have a nice assortment there, any for sale? Haha

I think you're asking me. I'm still waiting to receive the bamboo one, it's replacing a tenor Fluke I don't like. The black mandolele was made by Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam to my specs, I added the stick-on fret markers and tailpiece. Sorry, none are for sale.

Mike, you have virtually all kinds of solid body bass shapes covered!! How do you rotate playing time with all of these instruments? Also, how do you store 'em? Oh wait, just figured that you don't yet have a Gibson Explorer shape. :)

My seniors uke group meets twice a week, Monday afternoon and Thursday morning, easy to rotate through them like that. I keep the ukes in a humidified shelf I made in a bookshelf, my avatar, in my livingroom. The basses are hung on racks on the wall in my office/music room. The Explorer will not fit in any of my cases, but the green Savanah and sunburst are my ode as a not reverse style.

The uke was the first musical instrument that I finally managed to play, after having retired.

I started out with a Makala tenor, then a Makala pineapple soprano, then a Makala concert - found I preferred the concert scale, bought a Kala long neck soprano - & then kept on trying different ones, solid mahogany Ohanas, etc, & eventually found long neck concerts, via an Ohana solid mahogany giraffe neck soprano, & bought my real expensive uke, a KoAloha Opio solid acacia long neck concert - my UAS journey stopped right there. :)

I'm on #18, if I count my Beltona resonator. #16 (Cocobolo Ukulele) is my go-to, 17 has moved to my bestie's home.
This doesn't count 2 banjoukes, one of which has moved on to the next village.
Right now UAS is on WOAH. It's my daughter's turn, she just got the bug, and I want the one back I loaned her.

Me and my daughter both have Oscar Schmidt's. Wanting to move up a bit. Considering a Spruce Ahana or Kala from Mim or the newer Oscar spruce comfort OU500T from Butler Music. Comments appreciated. Rick from Kansas

UAS is a cunning and seductive (in my case) mistress. When I had one and grew to love it I was pretty certain that I would have another because I wanted an all-solid wood uke vs. my all laminate starter uke. I was even under the delusion that once I got my all-solid wood uke I'd sell my starter uke. I ended up loving and keeping both. Then denial steps in. I thought now that I own 2, I'll never own 3. Then number 3 comes along. Now guilt steps in. I said I never would have 3 so I feel compelled to sell one of them and sold my starter uke which I ended up regretting for the little I got for it. Now that I was back to 2 I was in a happier, more justifiable situation right? Then number 3b comes along. I justify it because I had a large balance sitting in my PayPal account from selling some of my old junk. That turns out to be the justification I used in buying my next 5 ukes. One of those was an impulse buy which I never bonded with so I sold it. Another was an exploration in trying a tenor size which I didn't like and never bonded with so I sold it. I am now left with 6, one of which I haven't received yet.

I honestly and truly never thought I'd ever own more than 2 ukes. Once you start wanting more rationalization really sets in and even higher prices become more acceptable. There was a point where I thought that $200 - $250 was an exorbitant amount to spend on a uke. Now I think that it's more in the neighborhood of a starting point for a decent uke. One thing I can say about my current ukes is that they are different in looks, woods, sounds, shapes and sizes so each has their own different purpose. There's yet another uke I would like but I still need to jump through some hoops to see if I want it enough to pull the trigger. I already have the funds for it so that's not a deciding factor. If I do get it, I would like to sell off 1 or 2 of my other ukes but it would be very difficult to decide which one(s).

@rickdean
You won't be sorry if you buy from Mim, from what I hear about her, so definitely check out what she has available, (including 'B' stock items, you probably won't be able to see anything wrong with it at all). :)

(I've got several Kala & Ohana ukes, all mine have been good.)

Me and my daughter both have Oscar Schmidt's. Wanting to move up a bit. Considering a Spruce Ahana or Kala from Mim or the newer Oscar spruce comfort OU500T from Butler Music. Comments appreciated. Rick from Kansas

My first uke was a spalted mango Oscar Schmidt. My second uke was a Cordoba which cost about twice as much. The difference between the two was astonishing. I could immediately play better with a better instrument. I'm not saying you need to spend $400, but I think you will find any upgrade to be a boon.

My first uke was a spalted mango Oscar Schmidt. My second uke was a Cordoba which cost about twice as much. The difference between the two was astonishing. I could immediately play better with a better instrument. I'm not saying you need to spend $400, but I think you will find any upgrade to be a boon.

I think that it isn't always about skill and technique. I think that there are some mental aspects to the equation. If one is playing a ukulele that has some significance to them, be it looks or price, or for any reason, they are going to play better. I know that is true for me.

I only had one uke for 3 years, I probably have 10-12 now. There are a number that I almost bought and a few I wish I had, but I try to limit any purchases to avoid something that is nearly the same or very similar to what I already have. Something that fits into a different niche. Other than just wanting another ukulele, I walk away unless the instrument brings something new to the table or is just so stellar.

Or... a ukulele that I will probably never have another chance to get that I really like. For instance, if a used Moore Bettah soprano was available and not too over the top in price, I would consider it even though I rarely play soprano. But it doesn't have to be expensive to pique my interest.

However, going after something not readily available does have its consequences. I picked up a Fred Shields 3 string soprano ukulele just for the fun of it. Then bought a tenor and a concert, and another concert for my wife. They are the ultimate noodling ukulele and there are no difficult chords. As far as I know, no one else makes them and Fred has a unique neck shape. I'm tempted to get another one or two, because when Fred stops building, they're gone. Tempting even though I usually play a standard 4 string.

John

I'm about three and a half months into playing and I have 5.

The first was a cheapo soprano I bought to see if I liked playing. I found I did, but it wasn't fit for purpose. So I picked up a VTAB concert, which was fine. Then I thought I'd try a tenor, so I bought a Snail which was a small step up, and actually slightly shamed the VTAB. The VTAB was weak on the trebles, so I restrung it to low G, providing a different instrument, and one useful for certain songs. The first restringing was also painless - I now have no fear of changing strings!

Then I picked up a cheap camp-style HPL ukulele from Enya; it was a bargain. The review I read wasn't kidding when it said it would be quiet. It also had a whistle but changing the strings sorted out the whistle, but made it even quieter. It's somehow nice, and feels like it has unfulfilled promise. I need to experiment with different strings again, I think.

But I had to get a nice soprano to replace the first one, which I now find unplayably bad. So I managed to pick up a solid wood Cort (just as those are vanishing). I'm super happy, even if I find it takes longer to tune with friction tuners. But the tone is incredible, and the Snail tenor, which I loved before now sounds a bit bland...

...so I'm fighting UAS. I now want a solid wood tenor or concert. I can understand the advice to get something really nice - that way I won't want to upgrade.

dr_mitch

Go for it. Better to buy your keeper now, than go through 40 or 50 ukes to get what you really wanted all along. Shop wisely, don't pinch pennies. If no one sells exactly what you want, consider a custom build. Keep an eye on our Marketplace forum.
I'll probably spend at least a grand on my next one...to perform onstage with. It will probably never pay for itself....

Bill1 is my party-pooper hero. +1 on what he said.

Everyone here knows (or will soon enough) that the main difference is the player and the practice. What you do with that knowledge is up to you. Your happiness is the main thing so UAS or don't UAS - who cares? It's only annoying when you try and justify it some way or another.

dr_mitch

Go for it. Better to buy your keeper now, than go through 40 or 50 ukes to get what you really wanted all along. Shop wisely, don't pinch pennies. If no one sells exactly what you want, consider a custom build. Keep an eye on our Marketplace forum.
I'll probably spend at least a grand on my next one...to perform onstage with. It will probably never pay for itself....

Good advice. I made the decision that life is too short to play cheap ukuleles. Since purchasing my Martin 5K soprano, I have no interest in any other Uke.

In my experience, UAS progresses in stages. I've long since passed thru the "one of each size," and "one of each wood," and "one of each body shape" stages. In my latest stage, I'm into "families." I now have four or more families of Ukes. Probably the best example of a "family" are my Ohana 70G Pineapples. I have the Sopranissimo, Sopranino, Soprano, Concert, and Tenor. And, it rankles me that they don't make it in the Baritone size. :( They look great hanging together, and it's fun to take a tune, then play it on each one in order of size.

I have learned through many hobbies and focused affections that I derive great enjoyment from array, the ability to compare and contrast different makers/results, a fascination with natural materials and the wild variety therein, and the numerous decisions each builder/company makes along the way. Juxtapositions often help me understand and appreciate each object or approach in new ways.

I invariably arrive at a certain threshold-- an undefined number or amount of objects + time-- at which I recognize that the items I will actually reach for have revealed themselves, and I begin to cull down.

When formerly sought items become "stuff," and maintenance measures begin to feel like obligation instead of another form of engagement with a quality, non-disposable item, it's time for me to move on.

But, I am far more content having first had the comparative array than I would have been simply deciding on the basis of a small(er) number of objects. This has proven consistent throughout my deep dives in a variety of interests over the years— board games, hats, pocket knives, fountain pens, etc.

Ukulele: I have played the guitar for years, an early and vital love pursued with more enthusiasm than skill. Somewhere along the way, I helped one of my daughters land on a ukulele; my research and evaluations at that time awakened not even an iota of desire for a ukulele of my own.

Then last year? Ukulele Season.
I try to remember what first piqued my interest, and come up entirely blank.

I have thoroughly enjoyed bringing in a variety of ukuleles of different sizes and brands, and interacting with so many great purveyors, and playing (and playing, and playing, determined to increase skill to match enthusiasm this time 'round...).

Now, the drawdown has commenced, even as my playing has consistently ramped up, and prospect of joining with others in actual real life is becoming more hopeful all the time.

We all enjoy our hobbies and non-work-related avocations in different ways. This is mine.

I've been playing throughout, and there is so much music to be made.

~ S.
Loving this

Top Bottom