Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uke acquisition syndrome: tell me about yours and help me with mine

Quote Originally Posted by PetalumaRescuke View Post
    Only 3! It is a very mild case of UAS, over 20 is when you realize you have it.
    This Picture titled 21 Uke Salute was taken 15 years ago. All have gone to other hands, but a Gretch My First, Jony Marvin Tenor air plane bridge, and the Northern Triangle.Attachment 124434

Quote Originally Posted by default View Post
    Ok so I have UAS pretty bad. I’d like to hear/ see y’all’s uke progressions and would love to hear what you looked for in the next uke and so on.

For me, I started with a Kala PWT and stepped up to a solid cedar top/acacia sided beauty that I’m really impressed with. I’m working on getting a banjolele and past that I think I’d like to find an 8 string or a uke for dedicated low-g.

So, let’s hear/ see your collection stories!

Attachment 124362

Ignore the bari, she’s gone and the blue is the wife’s
    Started with a Kala, moved up to a Pono MTD, got a Banjolele and then a 8 String Oscar Schmidt OUT8. Regret not getting the 8 string with the pick up. Then get a Roosebeck Baroque e leledownload.jpg
    Last edited by plunker; 01-15-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricfreak View Post
    UAS ??? Tell me about it!

First uke in 1977...... the rest is history.
    That's a nice assortment.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Very nice there

Quote Originally Posted by perep View Post
    How does that bamboo one, lower left , play. I see the black uke top right, who made that one? You have a nice assortment there, any for sale? Haha
    I think you're asking me. I'm still waiting to receive the bamboo one, it's replacing a tenor Fluke I don't like. The black mandolele was made by Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam to my specs, I added the stick-on fret markers and tailpiece. Sorry, none are for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
    Mike, you have virtually all kinds of solid body bass shapes covered!! How do you rotate playing time with all of these instruments? Also, how do you store 'em? Oh wait, just figured that you don't yet have a Gibson Explorer shape.
    My seniors uke group meets twice a week, Monday afternoon and Thursday morning, easy to rotate through them like that. I keep the ukes in a humidified shelf I made in a bookshelf, my avatar, in my livingroom. The basses are hung on racks on the wall in my office/music room. The Explorer will not fit in any of my cases, but the green Savanah and sunburst are my ode as a not reverse style.

The uke was the first musical instrument that I finally managed to play, after having retired.

I started out with a Makala tenor, then a Makala pineapple soprano, then a Makala concert - found I preferred the concert scale, bought a Kala long neck soprano - & then kept on trying different ones, solid mahogany Ohanas, etc, & eventually found long neck concerts, via an Ohana solid mahogany giraffe neck soprano, & bought my real expensive uke, a KoAloha Opio solid acacia long neck concert - my UAS journey stopped right there.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I'm on #18, if I count my Beltona resonator. #16 (Cocobolo Ukulele) is my go-to, 17 has moved to my bestie's home.
    This doesn't count 2 banjoukes, one of which has moved on to the next village.
    Right now UAS is on WOAH. It's my daughter's turn, she just got the bug, and I want the one back I loaned her.
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Me and my daughter both have Oscar Schmidt's. Wanting to move up a bit. Considering a Spruce Ahana or Kala from Mim or the newer Oscar spruce comfort OU500T from Butler Music. Comments appreciated. Rick from Kansas

UAS is a cunning and seductive (in my case) mistress. When I had one and grew to love it I was pretty certain that I would have another because I wanted an all-solid wood uke vs. my all laminate starter uke. I was even under the delusion that once I got my all-solid wood uke I'd sell my starter uke. I ended up loving and keeping both. Then denial steps in. I thought now that I own 2, I'll never own 3. Then number 3 comes along. Now guilt steps in. I said I never would have 3 so I feel compelled to sell one of them and sold my starter uke which I ended up regretting for the little I got for it. Now that I was back to 2 I was in a happier, more justifiable situation right? Then number 3b comes along. I justify it because I had a large balance sitting in my PayPal account from selling some of my old junk. That turns out to be the justification I used in buying my next 5 ukes. One of those was an impulse buy which I never bonded with so I sold it. Another was an exploration in trying a tenor size which I didn't like and never bonded with so I sold it. I am now left with 6, one of which I haven't received yet.

I honestly and truly never thought I'd ever own more than 2 ukes. Once you start wanting more rationalization really sets in and even higher prices become more acceptable. There was a point where I thought that $200 - $250 was an exorbitant amount to spend on a uke. Now I think that it's more in the neighborhood of a starting point for a decent uke. One thing I can say about my current ukes is that they are different in looks, woods, sounds, shapes and sizes so each has their own different purpose. There's yet another uke I would like but I still need to jump through some hoops to see if I want it enough to pull the trigger. I already have the funds for it so that's not a deciding factor. If I do get it, I would like to sell off 1 or 2 of my other ukes but it would be very difficult to decide which one(s).
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

@rickdean
    You won't be sorry if you buy from Mim, from what I hear about her, so definitely check out what she has available, (including 'B' stock items, you probably won't be able to see anything wrong with it at all).

(I've got several Kala & Ohana ukes, all mine have been good.)
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Thread Information