Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reply from Enya about the Nova U

Default Reply from Enya about the Nova U

Unlike most companies, Enya didn't simply deny that the problem exists. This is the reply I got to my email about the strings wearing dents in the frets.

"Thank you very much for contacting us and sharing the feedback!

It's definitely a major issue if the strings wear away the frets. I will let the product development team look at it and start working on fixing it with the manufacturer. Again, thank you very much for letting us be aware of this issue, we hope to have it improved as soon as possible.

Best,

Mike
    Enya Music"
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Fair play to them
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Fair play to them
    "Fair play" - that's a new one. I've heard "fair dinkum" (Australian), but this is a new one to me.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Jerry,

Well done for taking the initiative on this, and well done Enya for their fast and honest response.
    I wonder just what is the scale of the problem, all the production or just random instruments?

Vintage

It could be a production problem, but I'd suspect that since Enya seems fairly new to making plastic fret boards (I think?), they didn't give full consideration to the hardness of the plastic required, or their manufacturer was cutting corners.
    Glenn

Are you using the stock strings or something else?

Just for public record here (as someone who reviewed one, and who's video got a LOT of views, so likely led to some sales).

I am always wary about reviewing plastic ukuleles as I don't have a large turnaround time to give opinions on long term use on 99% of them. I have seen plastic uke frets wear before, though, but not on all of them. I therefore do what I can to force the issue and tend to test the lower frets by pressing a metal edge into them with some force to check on softness ( a metal ruler edge or string gauge thing). On one or two in the past it has marked the frets and I reported that. On the Magic Flea and Fluke it did not (though my Flea has started to wear - albeit after ten years!).

My test is not a perfect test, but it's the best I can do to try to force an issue forming and then advise readers as best I can. I did this with the Nova and could not mark or dent the one I was sent.

Actually, the one I was sent is still with me pending going to local charity event raffle. I can't say i've played it daily at all, but i've played it a fair bit. No fret wear on the one here.

That's not to say it's not happening (it IS clearly happening - the photos shared are clear) but I do wonder if there are different batches that have differed.

Interested to see what Enya do next.

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Just for public record here (as someone who reviewed one, and who's video got a LOT of views, so likely led to some sales).

I am always wary about reviewing plastic ukuleles as I don't have a large turnaround time to give opinions on long term use on 99% of them. I have seen plastic uke frets wear before, though, but not on all of them. I therefore do what I can to force the issue and tend to test the lower frets by pressing a metal edge into them with some force to check on softness ( a metal ruler edge or string gauge thing). On one or two in the past it has marked the frets and I reported that. On the Magic Flea and Fluke it did not (though my Flea has started to wear - albeit after ten years!).

My test is not a perfect test, but it's the best I can do to try to force an issue forming and then advise readers as best I can. I did this with the Nova and could not mark or dent the one I was sent.

Actually, the one I was sent is still with me pending going to local charity event raffle. I can't say i've played it daily at all, but i've played it a fair bit. No fret wear on the one here.

That's not to say it's not happening (it IS clearly happening - the photos shared are clear) but I do wonder if there are different batches that have differed.

Interested to see what Enya do next.
    Speculation: a change in materials vendor could be the simple answer here
    I'd definitely wait on word from Enya before purchasing!

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    Are you using the stock strings or something else?
    Changing strings is what we do. We all have firm, but differing, opinions on what strings are best or will work better on a particular instrument.
    If manufacturers don't know this they should try another business.

There have been a number of different contributors to these two Enya Nova threads, but so far only myself and Ms Bean have encountered the fret wear.
    While I welcome the input, where are all the Nova users? Are these two instances rarites?

Vintage

I put the word out last night to a couple of people I know have them. One came back this morning - he grabbed one in launch week and has played it significantly since, and performs with it weekly at an open mic. He's checked and not got any wear.

Thread Information