Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reply from Enya about the Nova U

That's interesting, I wonder, does that suggest dodgey batches?

Vintage

I am intended to think that it is a dodgy batch. I asked my Mum to try and capture the damage. So far neither of my parents had noticed the issue, but when they checked they both confirmed that it is there. They will try to get a good photo in the next few days and then mail them to me, together with the serial number sticker/QR code.
    I ordered mine on 21 October and got it delivered from a UK warehouse on 23 October. I noticed the problem around mid December, then took it abroad for the Christmas holidays, intending to bring it back, so in the pre-holiday rush and stress I did not take any pics myself. Then, since it's not here and I thought that maybe I was the only one, I left it at that. However, once I saw VintageGibson had a Nova with the same issue, I think it is important to feed quality issues like these back to the manufacturer.
    For what it's worth, I think that the preliminary test that Barry does is very good. It will weed out the really bad cases. It is still a very new product and so far not a lot of information is available. I think that Enya will gladly and promptly address the issue by investigating the complaint. If it turns out that both instruments we know of were from the same batch then there is nothing to worry about and I would immediately buy one or recommend them. Should many more ukes be flawed from several batches then it would be clear that they would need to rethink the fretboard.
    As mentioned I kept the stock strings on.

What is Enya's Warranty for their instruments? Usually Materials & Workmanship. 30 days, 90, 1 year?

I'm not saying that Enya won't come through and address the issue, but you may want to notify them and make a claim before the warranty runs out.

If you are on record as having notified them of the issue, you will have a better chance of filing a claim and having it honored.

It will also help let Enya know how widespread the issue is.

If you aren't having a wear issue so far, keep an eye on the frets and notify Enya if you start to see any.
    Last edited by Kenn2018; 01-14-2020 at 03:48 AM.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    What is Enya's Warranty for their instruments? Usually Materials & Workmanship. 30 days, 90, 1 year?

I'm not saying that Enya won't come through and address the issue, but you may want to notify them and make a claim before the warranty runs out.

If you are on record as having notified them of the issue, you will have a better chance of filing a claim and having it honored.

It will also help let Enya know how widespread the issue is.

If you aren't having a wear issue so far, keep an eye on the frets and notify Enya if you start to see any.
    Refund -
    https://www.enya-music.com/pages/policies

Warranty -
    Enya Music, Inc. warrants its product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under the normal use for a period of ONE YEAR from the date of original purchase.
    https://www.enya-music.com/pages/warranty-policy

Is fret wear a defect or normal wear?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Refund -
    https://www.enya-music.com/pages/policies

Warranty -
    Enya Music, Inc. warrants its product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under the normal use for a period of ONE YEAR from the date of original purchase.
    https://www.enya-music.com/pages/warranty-policy

Is fret wear a defect or normal wear?
    Pretty sure fret wear in a few weeks would be considered a defect in the materials. Or even a few months.

It's reasonable to expect an instrument to hold up to daily use for at least a year. Only having to change the strings. It should hold up to repeated playing for practice and playing for roughly 2 hours a day. And I'd expect 2 years or more of use. It's an inexpensive uke, but sold as a decent quality instrument.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

So...I have a black one that sits beside me at work. I have Aquila Lava strings on it. It doesn’t get much play time at work, just a little each morning.

It has fret wear!! I bought it at the end of October, just noticed the issue because of this thread!

Sent an email this afternoon to Enya, we will see what they say!!

Well it could be a poor batch, but unless they are using a complicated blend of resins for their fretboards, I doubt it. I suspect it is just technique. That is, some guitarist need to have their frets replaced every two years or so, while others can have a set of frets last 20 years. (Brian May's "Red Special" home-made guitar from the 60s still has its original frets.) So perhaps some of us are just pressing down with more force than Enya anticipated? Which if true, would of course mean they just need to use a harder plastic.
    Blackbird Farallon Ekoa Tenor
    Beltona Songster Resonator Tenor
    Klos Carbon Fiber Tenor
    Magic Fluke Tenor Firefly Banjolele

Thread Information