Odd Mix

Timbuck

Reaction score
I ran out of Cuban mahogany sides ..so I put this one together with Acacia sides...and it didn't turn out too bad...Cuban top and back, Acacia sides, Sapele neck, and Gabon ebony fret board..I think ill give it an Ebony bridge with bone nut and saddle to finish it off :)

IMG_4982 by Ken Timms, on Flickr

Nice one. But don't just say you ran out of wood for the sides. Get a better sales pitch and charge a big premium!! :cool:

Last edited:
I have tried to find out which acacia they are using in these chopping boards and it is really hard to find. My best guesses would be either acacia confusa(Formosa koa) or acacia mangium(black wattle but not the southern one))
though dealbata (silver wattle/mimosa) or baileyana (cootamundra) or some other common semi decorative species.

Last edited:
I don't wish to hijack the thread, just a quick comment on these boards. They are often made of up of small pieces, sometimes with knots, and seldom close to being quarter sawn. So to use as tops its hard to find a good one. I make mostly tenors so the boards aren't usually long enough for sides. Having said that there is potentially some nice looking wood there for makers of sopranos.

Ken, I dont see anything odd about the soprano you've made: I am sure it will be snapped up.

Top Bottom