Strings for A-tuning a tenor

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have one of my tenor ukes that I keep tuned E-A-C#-F# (A-tuning, low E). I'm using regular tenor strings now. They are not floppy & they sound good. However, tenor strings are made with GCEA tuning in mind, so I wonder if (IN THEORY) I might get better sound by up-tuning Baritone strings instead of down-tuning tenor strings. To wit:

Tenor strings low-G C E A minus 3 half-steps ==> E-A-C#-F#

Baritone strings D G B E plus 2 half steps ==>E-A-C#-F#

I will appreciate any & all comments.

Thought I'd try a little "string math" to see what could come close. I used the contents of the Aquila Nylgut string packages for Tenor Low-G, Baritone GCEA and Baritone DGBE for this problem.

The interesting thing between the Tenor and Baritone packaged sets is that the string gauges used (albeit for different notes) are either the same or darned close. The main difference is in the tension levels. As an example, the Tenor A is .67mm @ 6.7kg tension, and the Baritone GCEA E is .67mm @ 5.3kg tension. Also, the Tenor E is .84mm @ 5.9kg, and the Baritone DGBE B is .84 mm @ 4.7kg.

Across the board, one seems to find that string tensions on a Tenor are 25% greater than on a Baritone. So, getting a Baritone string set and tuning upward (increasing tension) instead of getting a Tenor set and tuning downward (decreasing tension) seem to make no difference, since for the most part the same string gauges (or close to it) are used in both string sets.

My thanks to JustStrings.com for publishing the string gauges and tension levels for the Aquila (and other) string sets. Having that data is quite helpful.

So, IMHO if what works now without a capo sounds okay, be happy.

If the bari strings fit the tenor nut, then yes, that should work. Tension on the tenor should be virtually the same. Think about putting a capo at the second fret on your baritone. Now you're at EAC#F# at pretty much tenor scale.

If you're interested in reentrant A on tenor, I have that with the World of Ukes Clarity strings which are supposed to be really high tension for gCEA but I like them at eAC#F#

@Steve -- I enjoyed your detailed & VERY interesting analysis. I am surprised that tenor & barry stings are so similar.

@Jim -- I'm happy to learn that I'm not the only one who likes A-tuning. OTOH, I am not a fan of reentrant tuning (I enjoy the tummy massage from a low #4). Neither am I a fan of using a capo (it sounds too much like "capon": an emasculated rooster.)

By the way, my A-tuned tenor uke is a Fender Montecito - solid koa top, laminated koa B&S. It is a beautiful, under-priced uke (I got this 1, brand new via Reverb, for $188, FOB Hawaii).

You may have misunderstood me: I meant that a 1/4 guitar set should work for putting a 17" tenor into A tuning.
Right, I got you. I was just presenting another option, but I probably just confused the issue since my option was for A tuning on 19" scale and OP is talking 17" tenor. Thanks for pointing that out

I did a test with 3 neighbors. I had 1 Fender tenor tuned C & another tuned A. All 3 neighbors listened to the ukes to judge which sounded better. A-tuning won, 3-0.

The following "conventional" keys are easy with A-tuning: A, B, E, F#, G. NOT so easy are C & D keys -- especially because I hate using a capon (er... capo). So, when I need to play in either of those 2 keys, I switch to a C-tuned uke. Is there a better solution (sans capo)?

FWIW, I can attest the low g Living Water tenor set worked great for Linear A on a 19" Bruko baritone.
I worry that tenor strings might be too short for my oversized Pono baritone (Scale length - 21.4" ). Comments?

Last edited:
I worry that tenor strings might be too short for my oversized Pono baritone (Scale length - 21.4" ). Comments?

You'd have to check with Ken Middleton to be sure. I'm sure he could make you a custom set if the standard set is too short. But at that scale length, you'd be back in DGBE territory. You might even be able to down tune to CFAD

You'd have to check with Ken Middleton to be sure. I'm sure he could make you a custom set if the standard set is too short. But at that scale length, you'd be back in DGBE territory. You might even be able to down tune to CFAD
Honest questions: Why would I want to tune it to CFAD? Have you ever tuned a baritone that low? If so, how did it sound with respect to: (a) quality? (b) volume?

By the way, my oversized Pono still has the original barry strings, uptuned to A-tuning. It sings!!! Just don't ask me to play key of C. (I can do it, but high-pitched with no open strings -- it's like a church choir when all the male voice are absent. Blah!)

Last edited:
Honest questions: Why would I want to tune it to CFAD? Have you ever tuned a baritone that low? If so, how did it sound with respect to: (a) quality? (b) volume?

By the way, my oversized Pono still has the original barry strings, uptuned to A-tuning. It sings!!! Just don't ask me to play key of C. (I can do it, but high-pitched with no open strings -- it's like a church choir when all the male voice are absent. Blah!)
I was thinking the longer scale might be too high tension at DGBE but I guess that's not an issue if you have it a step higher.

I do have a super tenor at reentrant cFAD tuning just for the variety. It sounds nice but is very quiet on this uke.

Hi all,
New to this forum/thead format.
Been reading comments on A tuning E A C# F#
Pleased to hear other players use this tuning, thought i was the odd one out!

I have 3 ukes Ohana Tenor nylon strings G C E A
Eleuke Tenor nylon strings G C E A
Risa LP solid tenor steel strings G C E A

At the moment i have de-tuned the Eleuke (nylon strings) 3 semitones down
Risa (steel strings) " "
If i wish to keep this tuning on either uke, would it/they benift from a different gauge set of strings.
If so does anyone have suggestions for gauges for nylon strings
" " or/and " steel "

Thank you for your interest.

John A

I've tried tuning down tenor strings to A, and yes the strings were a bit floppy, but it sounded good, but way lower than I was accustomed to. I remember ukulele virtuoso Ukulelezaza writing the he prefers his tenor ukes tuned down to A. Of course, he also said that tenors sound like bad sopranos. ;) i'd think that if you want to use tenor strings in A, they should be a high tension set.

Last edited:
I always use this tuning and I just use regular strings. I typically use Worth or Fremont strings. Originally I settled on this tuning because I wanted a certain feel to my A string. So I downtuned it 'til it was F# and that was the feel I was looking for. Then I just made the other strings match.

Obviously the strings are looser and that is exactly what I want. I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I am very chagrined if not embarrassed by the typical ukulele sound. Everything sounds like elevator music. That's just me and I personally want something with a little more gravitas and a little more somberness. I have never felt any liabilities with this tuning. No. I do take that back. Sometimes the 4th string can be a bit buzzy if you won't mute it.

Top Bottom