Thread: Old Kanilea

Default Old Kanilea

Saw this one on eBay, an older Kanilea. Guy says it's a super concert, the label only says K-1. Bridge and fretboard look like koa, is that right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanilea-Kan...Condition=3000

Super concert.JPG
    John

K-1 is the finish level, K-2 had a little more bling, K-3, even more, etc. So, it's the base finish level, looks like a tenor scale to me, 25" would be about right. Price may be a little high, unless you just really like it, it's probably a fine instrument! Today, it would be called a K-1 SC (for super concert), then you could get a D (deluxe) or P (premium) denoting upgrades in the curl. Watch it and if it doesn't sell, they might drop the price or put it on make an offer.
    Last edited by UkerDanno; 01-14-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

That is a cool uke, label suggests it was built by Joe himself. That crack on the back of the headstock between the G and A tuners looks a bit ominous.

Looks like he wrapped the C-string around the bridge peg rather than feeding it into the hole. I think it's wound, but can't be sure.

With the cracked and crazed finish on the heel, I can't help but wonder about how well it was kept humidified. I found it interesting that in the description he says: "...the usual cracked finish..." Or something to that effect. I don't think there is anything usual about that.

I don't know if it has always been this way, but tenors are currently designated K-1T.

I think it's over priced as well. That cracked finish looks pretty severe.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

I bought a 2007 K-1 Tenor (in 2007) from MGM. I believe the cost with a hard shell case was about the same new as the eBay ukulele. The early pre-TRU braced ukuleles were hit or miss. They tended to be a bit over-built and the finishes were a bit thick. I ended up sending it back.

I don’t want to discourage you, but in my opinion, older may not be better. The newer Kanileas are top notch, but you will pay $1300 for a new super concert.

John

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I bought a 2007 K-1 Tenor (in 2007) from MGM. I believe the cost with a hard shell case was about the same new as the eBay ukulele. The early pre-TRU braced ukuleles were hit or miss. They tended to be a bit over-built and the finishes were a bit thick. I ended up sending it back.

I don’t want to discourage you, but in my opinion, older may not be better. The newer Kanileas are top notch, but you will pay $1300 for a new super concert.

John
    Agreed, if I was buying, I'd get a new one. I like the look of the new ones, and I expect the latest TRU bracing sounds better too. Even the lower cost Oha ukes have that too.
    John

Looking at his other 170 eBay listings, it's got a pawn/thrift/vintage shop vibe. I doubt he knows much about the instrument, he just did some googling.
    Glenn

That's a beauty, and I like the fact that the headstock logo is different than current ones. As for the crazing in the finish, that's just "patina." : )
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    That crack on the back of the headstock between the G and A tuners looks a bit ominous.
    I wonder if that's actually a crack.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information