Wood grain direction?

YUNI

Reaction score
I was thinking about this today and thought some people here might know what’s what!

Is there a reason why some woods always seem to be positioned so the grain is oriented a certain way?

For example, all the spruce tops I’ve seen have had the lines going vertically, but couldn’t you also turn the piece of wood 90 degrees and have them going horizontally? Same with zebra wood or I guess any wood with a vertical grain.

Does it have something to do with the sound/vibrations or is it an aesthetic preference?

I’m never done any real woodworking so maybe I’m missing something obvious 😆

You want the grain line in line with the tension. Thus the grain line points to the peghead where the pull of the strings comes from. Try breaking wood with and against the grain line and it becomes obvious.

You want the grain line in line with the tension. Thus the grain line points to the peghead where the pull of the strings comes from. Try breaking wood with and against the grain line and it becomes obvious.

Sorry, so you mean it’s easier to break wood against the grain than along the grain? So having the tension in line with the strings makes the wood less likely to snap? Or the opposite? I don’t have any spare wood in my house to try, not even popsicle sticks :p

It's more about stiffness than actually breaking the wood.

See, for example, corrugated cardboard. Even without kinking it, it's stiffer trying to bend it one direction than at 90 degrees to that direction.

Think of the wood as being a bunch of drinking straws glued together. They are more stiff in the lengthwise direction than width wise.

I've always wanted to make a uke with all the wood grain going the wrong direction. Biggest problem is that it would take a heck of a wide board to cut the sides from! For a tenor, 12" wide boards for the top and back would be easy to find, but 18"-20" wide boards for the sides are another matter. Neck and fretboard could be cobbled together. Would be a fun project to take to a luthier's gathering!

I've always wanted to make a uke with all the wood grain going the wrong direction. Biggest problem is that it would take a heck of a wide board to cut the sides from! For a tenor, 12" wide boards for the top and back would be easy to find, but 18"-20" wide boards for the sides are another matter. Neck and fretboard could be cobbled together. Would be a fun project to take to a luthier's gathering!

Is it possible to create two-piece sides? I suppose if one were to make their own custom laminate it would be strong enough with overlapping layers.

A scarf joint or butt with a side support on the joint. Easier bending but use Titebond 3 for glue.

Would be a fun project to take to a luthier's gathering!
You could make it even more interesting by making the top out of a hardwood and the back, sides and neck from softwoods.
Miguel

Top Bottom