For people that have painted their ukes...

YUNI

Reaction score
How did you let it dry out? I‘ve sanded down the top of a solid wood one (mahogany) so it’s ready to go, but I’m not sure how to store it afterwards.

Usually I keep it in its case with a humidifier because it is SUPER dry in my apartment. I have TWO humidifiers going in my bedroom (this is also where I keep my ukuleles, all have cases), and it hovers around 45, so in other rooms it would definitely be below 40.

So I was thinking I should still keep it in my room, in it’s case with the top halfway open with the sound hole humidifier in there too? And then when the paint completely dries I can close the case again.

Also not sure if this is relevant to anything but the temperature in my apartment is about 21°C (around 70 F) and all the windows are kept open except the one in my room. (I don’t turn on the heat during the winter, but the apartments around me do so if I didn’t crack the windows it goes to like 25°C (77 F) which is unbearable to me haha)

How did you let it dry out? I‘ve sanded down the top of a solid wood one (mahogany) so it’s ready to go, but I’m not sure how to store it afterwards.

Usually I keep it in its case with a humidifier because it is SUPER dry in my apartment. I have TWO humidifiers going in my bedroom (this is also where I keep my ukuleles, all have cases), and it hovers around 45, so in other rooms it would definitely be below 40.

So I was thinking I should still keep it in my room, in it’s case with the top halfway open with the sound hole humidifier in there too? And then when the paint completely dries I can close the case again.

Also not sure if this is relevant to anything but the temperature in my apartment is about 21°C (around 70 F) and all the windows are kept open except the one in my room. (I don’t turn on the heat during the winter, but the apartments around me do so if I didn’t crack the windows it goes to like 25°C (77 F) which is unbearable to me haha)

I bought a painted Fluke. That encouraged me to have a Fluke painted. Then I painted a Flea and then a FLuke. I sanded them, gave them a coat of Gesso as a base, and then painted them with acrylic. It dries fast and cleans up with water. If you don't like a section you've painted, you can sand it a bit and paint over it. I allow a couple of days to dry, and then I spray them with Krylon clear acrylic. That not only protects the paint, but it makes it look much better.

In an apartment or small space, you can hang the uke to dry in a cardboard box. The box has to be bigger than the uke. If you need humidity, put a jar of water in the box. it will keep the dust off and will keep the uke safe. Usually acrylic dries very quickly, like straight away, but it can keep hardening for days. Sometimes it will dry to touch straight away, but will be soft for a few days, so it can be a good idea to leave it alone for a few days after painting.

Oh this is a smart idea! I have a bunch of boxes left over from Xmas:D

Oh this is a smart idea! I have a bunch of boxes left over from Xmas:D

Acrylic paint dries almost immediately and seems to have virtually no smell. If you are going to spray it with Krylon clear acrylic, that is a totally different story. The spell is very strong, and it continues to emit an odor as it dries. You cannot do this indoors unless you want to coat your lungs with acrylic.

I’m actually using a small amount of oil paint mixed w a gloss medium (liquin) to help it dry faster! I only have a few colours of acrylic paint bc I don’t like working with them because of how fast they dry lol. Have tons of oil paint tho and although technically they can take months to dry (I’ve picked up a canvas like 2 months after setting it aside only to smudge the corner with my thumb :( ), I’m using MUCH less paint here and not painting it on with a palette knife :eek:

Not sure what I plan to use to varnish, I have a small amount of poly varnish but it’s satin and I kind of wanted a glossy look....

I’m actually using a small amount of oil paint mixed w a gloss medium (liquin) to help it dry faster! I only have a few colours of acrylic paint bc I don’t like working with them because of how fast they dry lol. Have tons of oil paint tho and although technically they can take months to dry (I’ve picked up a canvas like 2 months after setting it aside only to smudge the corner with my thumb :( ), I’m using MUCH less paint here and not painting it on with a palette knife :eek:

Not sure what I plan to use to varnish, I have a small amount of poly varnish but it’s satin and I kind of wanted a glossy look....

Just an FYI: You can get an extender to increase the drying time of acrylics. I like them because they have minimal odor. Won't the turpentine thinners would attack the finish on the other parts of your ukulele?

Good luck with your project.

Just an FYI: You can get an extender to increase the drying time of acrylics. I like them because they have minimal odor. Won't the turpentine thinners would attack the finish on the other parts of your ukulele?

Good luck with your project.

Huh I didn't know there was an extender for acrylic, I'll look into it!! As for the thinner, Liquin actually doesn't have any turpentine in it, so it's safe for the varnish :)

Top Bottom