Kanile’a carrying case

To be honest, with an instrument the value of a Kanile'a I don't think I would personally put mine in anything other than a fully hard case. That's not to say this is shoddy - it looks very nice, but semi hard cases are never as strong.

Just my opinion of course!

Nice case -Kanilea one, I travel lots, this case would do in any situation unless you are playing football with it and yes maybe survive that also. Have several Kanilea, I know the cost, just get this case, also have the uke insured full value on homeowner rider on insurance. Hope this helps. Beautiful bag-expensive , I carry mine in similar bag-soft.

Baz I agree but can’t find the Kanile’a hardcase anywhere.

Perep - Just so I am clear you recommend the carrying case in the link?

I am looking for the case included in this listing.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/kanile-a-koa-gloss-tenor-k-1-t-tru-r-serial-21969.html

Thank you,
Erik

The case in that second listing is a piece of junk. Mine fell apart literally not long after I got it. It offers very little protection. I don't think they even offer them anymore. Buy a proper solid case.

Great to know. Thank you. Any suggestions?

Great to know. Thank you. Any suggestions?

Depends how much you want to spend. There are plenty of hard shell wooden or ABS options out there but you really do get what you pay for.

I store my nice ukuleles in wood or ABS plastic hard cases. These "carrying cases" are much lighter weight than the old wood cases and I can understand that some people have trouble with the weight and would want to use a lighter weight case to transport your ukulele to local gigs or classes.

I just got a kanilea tenor and had hms switch a hard gig bag to a Oahu hard case. Fits perfect.

Erikro,

I am not terribly impressed with the current Oahu cases. It has only two antique brass finish latches. (At least that was the case I got last year from HMS. They change the spec on them pretty frequently.)

The Kanile'a case looks very nice. Crossrock & Kala make similar cases (Kala one is nicer), but the handle on the Kanile'a case in the photo looks to be of better quality. They are all ABS hard cases. I have my Kanile'a tenors in: A 2-1/2 year old O'ahu molded ABS cream-colored case that fits perfectly. And a smooth fiberglass Crossrock case that is almost too snug.

I contacted them about a replacement bridge pin for one of mine and they were super helpful. (I dropped one and stepped on it and broke it.) They got one to me very quickly. I think I paid a couple of dollars for the postage. I think I included my uke's serial number with the email. It may help if you open a Kanile'a account on their website.

Anyway, since you are an owner of one of their instruments, I would be willing to bet they would sell you one, if they still carry them. Just drop them an email and see what they say.

Last edited:
I have a Crossrock fiberglass baritone case and it's well made. They also have a carbon fiber line if you have money burning a hole in your pocket and need to shield yourself from stray bullets.

When I was buying a Kanile'a GL6 last year they just came with a fake carbon fiber case—I think plastic—but I didn't care for it much (not much room for accessories) and HMS let me swap it for a Uke Crazy polyfoam (better protection for riding in hot cars in the tropics).

Last edited:
That looks like an expensive, fancy, Uke Crazy case. Although they are hard cases, I don't like with zippers , and I'd prefect a traditional hard case for a Kanile'a. I'd like to see a toughness test done with hard cases. I suspect a $200 case would protect better than a $30 case, but how often does a car drive over a uke case?

Baz I agree but can’t find the Kanile’a hardcase anywhere.

Perep - Just so I am clear you recommend the carrying case in the link?

I am looking for the case included in this listing.

https://www.theukulelesite.com/kanile-a-koa-gloss-tenor-k-1-t-tru-r-serial-21969.html

Thank you,
Erik
Looks from photo like a great case, much like the Gator one they don’t make anymore,similar rigid sides and lots of GOOD padding inside, mosttime I use in travel my OLD floppy noe Steady case , the yellow tweed they don’t make anymore-looks like old suitcase fabric

Great choice. That case looks badass! Although 3 buckles would be nice, I’ve never had issues with two buckles. Especially when the case closes nicely and the buckles secure nicely. Anuenue cases which I always bring up are two buckles and the best imho. Oahu have great inside padding as well. Enjoy your awesome Uke!

Erikro,

I am not terribly impressed with the current Oahu cases. It has only two antique brass finish latches.

I prefer three latches, but two will work. I recently got this case from Musician's Friend. It was pictured just like this one, but it arrived with three catches - a nice surprise - $27.11 delivered.

Top Bottom