Reentrant players: Would you tune your tenor _guitar_ reentrant?

Jupu

Reaction score
This has been touched in some other thread maybe, but I think only in the guitar section. I would guess it leaves out many only uke players, and this is a fair question to them too.

Do you think reentrant tuning (basic uke style) would work as well with a "uke+ scale", that is a tenor guitar or tenor baritone guitar? Is the longer scale per se as fitting? At least the more open voucings would be difficult. And if the uke's "high to high" note strums are changing to "mid to mid" note, at least absolutely, not relative to the chord at play, would the effect be simlarly fascinating?

And what about electricity - if one can't find an acoustic one? Techniques, picks, campanella, fingerstyle, ghost notes, etc. There probably are threads about solid body ukes that are mainly valid for tenor guitars too.

I like the re-entrant sound on soprano and concert ukes, and prefer a linear tuning on larger instruments to take advantage of their ability to reproduce lower frequencies. However, for tenor guitar there is a specific way to accomplish re-entrant tuning when you use the traditional fifths CGDA sequence, but have the the C and D, and the G and A from the same octave. This was used by Eddie Freeman. Here's an example how this sounds:

I play a short scale Tenor banjo tuned re-entrant dGBE. About 20 years ago I needed a banjo for some gigs around St Patrick's Day but had trouble with the "stretch" needed for some chords, so I changed some strings and used Chicago tuning (DGBE linear as a baritone or 1st four guitar strings) The chord voicings still sounded guitar like so I tried re-entrant and have used it since. The added bonus is that when finger-picked I can achieve a Faux bluegrass type of sound.

I have since found out that the late, great Lonnie Donegan did something similar. He was originally a guitar player but, the story goes that he was travelling back from a weekend gig when one of the others mentioned that Ken Collier needed a banjo player for his jazz band. First thing Monday, Lonnie went out and bought a 5 string banjo, took off the 5th, tuned Chicago and got the job.

Apparently, back in the day, it wasn't uncommon for guitarists to secure extra work as banjo and mandolin players by using Chicago tuning. Ironic really, since a generation earlier the tenor guitar was developed to accommodate banjo players as the musical styles changed.

Vintage

I think I would like to go with the regular uke tuning, so that I knew where I am, and not try different tunings just yet. I'm just wondering, if it will work well or not.

One problem will be that the tenors I find are usually set up for non-reentrant tunings. Nut should be fairly easy to replace (right?), but the slanted saddles or pickups on electric tenor guitars are harder to replace. The Fender Alternate Reality Teles and some of the Eastwood models have adjustable bridges at least. The Airline Tenor even has only humbuckers and no slanted pickups. I dislike the looks though.

I have two tuned rentrant, one tuned linear

Top Bottom