Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Ukes - Mainly play one

Default Multiple Ukes - Mainly play one

Began playing uke a long time ago. I didn't do much with the uke for a number of years but my wife found one at a garage sale around '95. After that I got interested in the uke again. After purchasing a few more cheapies I bought a Mainland Tenor in 2009. I have never thought of myself as a uke collector but I have 4 or 5 other ukes now and my wife has the same. Then there are a few that we have bought for our kids, that have been left here.

So the reality is that although I have a number of ukuleles, I hardly play anything but my Mainland tenor which I play daily. My wife always plays her Mainland concert and rarely anything else.

Anybody else out there with multiple ukes who only play one? How many of you pull out a different instrument every day?
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

What's the fun it that? I play the one that best fits the situation—teaching, recording, ensembles, stage, travel, etc. One size doesn't fit all, at least for me.

Yeah, I’m with Gochugogi, I play multiple ukes depending on the context and the kind of music I’m playing. I have always enjoyed the variety of having different ukes, kind of like hanging out with a wide range of friends, I always appreciate different personalities in ukes as in people.
    Klos Tenor (carbon fibre)
    Mya Moe Tenor (myrtle)
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)

Quote Originally Posted by fretie View Post
    Yeah, I’m with Gochugogi, I play multiple ukes depending on the context and the kind of music I’m playing. I have always enjoyed the variety of having different ukes, kind of like hanging out with a wide range of friends, I always appreciate different personalities in ukes as in people.
    You betcha. Just like with people, I sometimes feel more inclined to hang with some on some days, and others at other times.

I do go through phases. Play one or two ukes for a week or two. Then move to a different one. I also have upstairs ukes and downstairs ukes. They do migrate though.
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Guess I'm the exception cuz I have ZERO ukes. However, I have 2 classical guitars; an el cheapo Terada bought in 1977 for $100. The second one, is a bit better. Use the Terada when playing outdoors, crowded area or amplified with an iRig acoustic stage.

LP Twist shakers if I want a change of pace from guitar. Or, occasionally attempt to play someone else's Uke.

Peavey Dyna-Bass in candy apple red used when slated to play bass with one of my Uke groups. (No other choice)

I have 9 ukes and every Sunday I go to a park with a bunch of acoustic players, so I rotate between 8 of them every week and practice at home with a knock around, which was a tenor Fluke, but I don't like it, so I ordered an all bamboo Aklot tenor cutaway to replace it.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
    9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
    Last edited by kohanmike; 01-15-2020 at 08:30 PM.

I am avaricious but monogamous. I always wanted more and more, but only played my favorite. I figured it wasn't fair to the world-at-large to horde ukuleles that wouldn't really be played. So I sold off all the ukuleles, turned my back on UAS, and contented myself with two top-shelf ukuleles, a Kamaka for my re-entrant needs and a custom uke for my regular playing. I have a crappy $300 Kala baritone and, someday, I want to replace it with an elite baritone (something like a Mya Moe or another custom)...but I am done with ukulele purchasing.

I have 6 ukes.
    I play most of them, but there is definately 2 or 3 that I play more often than the rest. I have a LNS for that staccato uke sound when strumming, a warmer sounding concert, and tenors with and without low G. Each time I learn a new song I try it on several ukes to hear which is best for that song.

My non ukeing friends say that having more than one makes me a collector. I find that a bit harsh, but I would like to trim my collection down to 2-3 ukes. But which ones to let go?!
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Different ukes for different sounds - whilst I don't play as often as I once did, I still like to vary it when I play, so having multiple ukes is good to have.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I always have at least two by my chair. I play them for a while, bring them to jams, and then select two or more replacements for a week or so.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information