Multiple Ukes - Mainly play one

I have now accumulated four ukuleles. One of them I seldom if ever play. The other three, one is for busking/gigs, number two for just banging around, the third if I want to plug in and rock out. None usually encroach on the others territory. The one I don't play just doesn't have a purpose and I'm very much purpose driven, so my wife says anyway.

Last edited:
If I really feel like one's not going to get played, I'll sell it. Having said that, I have a cheap "stick" uke which I'll hang onto for silent playing if the need arises as it takes up next to no space and wouldn't net me much money if I sold it. My bass uke sees little play too, but I barely classify it as a ukulele. I could probably be okay with one soprano, but my two sopranos sound so different I'm having a hard time letting the other one go. I've been playing my baritone a lot lately, but I certainly wouldn't keep it as my only ukulele as I know I'll go back to the soprano again.

Long story short: If my place burned down, I'd get a soprano and a classical guitar.

If you can find One Perfect Uke that suits you whenever you play, that's great! Don't let UAS bother you; you have what you need.

I have several ukes with very different voices that I play in frequent rotation because 1) I am moody 2) I play different styles of music and 3) I play in different situations (indoor, outdoor, alone, in performance, solo, small group, large group). The uke I love best strumming with two other players at a luau (Fluke concert, fluoro hi-G) is not the uke I sing solo with (Clara, Oasis brights, lo-G). And neither is the uke I'll be playing tonight leading 30 people in Does the Spearmint Lose Its Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight? (Firefly soprano, nylguts, hi-G)

The Ken Burns documentary about Country Music has been re-running on PBS and not coincidentally I've been playing my baritone more than usual.

I don't judge anyone for owning one uke... or 100 ukes. Well, truthfully when I see someone with a whole wall full of ukes I think this person is maybe a little bit nuts, but there's nothing wrong with being a little bit nuts and it's just my opinion anyway.

I spread it around. My concert Flea gets the most use, because it's usually out & nearby, is uber-portable in a teeny soprano gigbag, has a sweet tone and is easy to play. I consider it the closest thing I have to a soprano, with good volume, bark & jangle. Then I wanted the bigger sounds and variety of both reentrant and linear tenors. I never thought I'd want to have 2 reentrant tenors, but now have another one that is more jangly, in addition to one that is more full & woody sounding. So, 4 ukes total. It's nice to have some variety!

Last edited:
I've only got the three.....over the course of a week the two for sure get played...over the course of a month they all get played......when I'm my practice is consistent they all get played weekly.....some day's I'll have two out and go back and forth with the same songs.....variety is nice if you have and like it....

I have 7 but play mainly one - a new koaloha tenor. Five are tenors, one soprano and one a baritone. Six I have at home and one at work. However when I’m learning a new song I find it helpful to play it on both my soprano and baritone. They help me with my touch and stretch. One tenor is with a hi g. I also like to tune one tenor up a half step and one I have tuned down a half or whole step. Variety is nice.

Top Bottom