Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strings for Ohana Mahogany Concert

Default Strings for Ohana Mahogany Concert

I just received the Ohana ck-39 ukulele. To be honest Im not impressed. The build is extremely light (can be a good thing?) and the build quality is similar to my Amazon ukulele
    I do like the looks but thats it. The sound is ok, with Aquila strings its really muted or mellow. Volume is loud, but I expected more.
    I think changing strings can help. Anyone with the same model, or 25, 35, 38 series experiment with strings ?

I use low G fluorocarbon strings on my solid mahogany Ohana ukes, (Living Water), gives them a much better tone than 'nylon' strings.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Light build is good. That means you’ll get more volume and resonance. I’ve used Martin M600s and Aquila Sugar stings on my SK35 with great success.
    PLAYERS: Martin C1K Enya Nova U concert (BLUE!) Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) Ohana SK-28 Nunes Flea koa soprano Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> Famous FS-1 <yippee!!> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Makala MK-CE concert
    LOOKERS: Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I've got Aquila Sugars on my all mahogany Ohana TK-35g-5 tenor. They sound much better to me than the strings it came with.
    Last edited by rlgph; 01-16-2020 at 03:15 AM.

My go-to strings for my CK-35 are Fremont Blackline medium fluorocarbon. *Much* better than the Aquila nylgut.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

As already mentioned above, Living Water or Martins, Martins may be a little brighter, Living Water, a little mellower and softer feel.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

I've not liked Aquila strings on any of my ukes. I have a solid mahogany Ohana long neck soprano (soprano with a concert scale). It sounds really nice with Worth brown strings on it. I'd be willing to bet most any fluorocarbon string would be an improvement.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Quote Originally Posted by mikelz777 View Post
    I've not liked Aquila strings on any of my ukes. I have a solid mahogany Ohana long neck soprano (soprano with a concert scale). It sounds really nice with Worth brown strings on it. I'd be willing to bet most any fluorocarbon string would be an improvement.
    This right here. The Aquila nylgut strings are good strings, don't get me wrong. I very much like what the company does and their product lines, including the nylgut. But I think of them as a great equalizer.

A discussion I had with an employee at a large (non-chain) music store basically concluded that the Aquila nylgut strings can pull a cheap uke up, but can also pull a good uke down. Their comments was something like, "They can make a $50 uke sound like a $150 uke and they can make a $1,000 uke sound like a $150 uke."

This is not to say that there aren't instruments which are well suited to nylguts, there are. I jsut don't think the solid mahogany Ohanas are included in that group.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Quote Originally Posted by Puglele View Post
    I just received the Ohana ck-39 ukulele. To be honest I’m not impressed. The build is extremely light (can be a good thing?) and the build quality is similar to my Amazon ukulele
    I do like the looks but that’s it. The sound is ok, with Aquila strings it’s really muted or mellow. Volume is loud, but I expected more.
    I think changing strings can help. Anyone with the same model, or 25, 35, 38 series experiment with strings ?
    Is that the impression you get when you play the uke, or if someone plays the uke for you and you are the audience? I find that the Aquilas shine most when used for performance and played hard, and the ukes sounds great and punchy from a distance. I have flurocarbons on the ukes I use for practice at home to learn new songs when I don't need to cut through to an audience. So yeah if you mainly play quietly for yourself then Aquilas may not be the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
    Is that the impression you get when you play the uke, or if someone plays the uke for you and you are the audience? I find that the Aquilas shine most when used for performance and played hard, and the ukes sounds great and punchy from a distance. I have flurocarbons on the ukes I use for practice at home to learn new songs when I don't need to cut through to an audience. So yeah if you mainly play quietly for yourself then Aquilas may not be the best choice.

It’s my impression when I played it. I have an Amazon one laying around, I don’t think there are significant difference between the 2, the sound, the quality etc. The amazon one only costs 1/5 of the price.
    My Ukes collection:
    Rebel Mango Sublime Soprano (Creme brle)
    Mainland Mango Pineapple
    KoAloha Opio Acacia Soprano KSO-10
    Ohana CK-39
    Pono MCD - Mahogany concert deluxe
    Mele Mahogany Concert

Looking to sell: KoAloha Opio Acacia Soprano KSO-10 (let me know if you are interested)

Thread Information