Thread: Help figuring out playing order and difficulty level Craig Brandau's jazz chord solo

Default Help figuring out playing order and difficulty level Craig Brandau's jazz chord solo

I got Craig Brandau's book "jazz chord solos for tenor ukulele" last spring. The introduction only mentions which songs are the easiest and the hardest to play, but no suggestions as to how to proceed.
    Has anyone tried these solos? Which ones did you find easiest? What order would you suggest? I'm still stuck on the easiest (Here, there and everywhere), but I wonder which I could tackle next.

Here are the study notes regarding the notation in the book & a Study which may be a better place to start You'll fing most of the fingerings & barres are listed in the standard notation
    http://ukulelecraig.com/pn.pdf
    http://ukulelecraig.com/agu.pdf
    Last edited by prb035; 01-17-2020 at 03:02 PM.
    Grandma Uker Penny

Here's another jazz tutorial (with tab) which you might like

Grandma Uker Penny

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Here are some observations, maybe they inspire further suggestions:

On familiarising myself with the tunes:
    I've downloaded the mp3, the code was in the book. For now, I've listened a few times to the songs I wasn't familiar with. For the songs I know, I've picked out the melody from the standard notation and played that on my flute. I'll end up highlighting that melody and then decide on which notes to leave out or change to simplify the fingering. So I do have an idea on how to proceed and add more to my basic vocabulary.

Realistic goal, time it will take to learn the songs:
    I regularly go back to music I have been studying and then left to start something else. It is one of my biggest weaknesses: I never really finish something. I work until I know I could play it at an acceptable amateur level. Then I start on something new. When I revisit the older material I find them interesting again, I try different phrasing and sometimes it makes more sense than before.
    I suppose I'll hunt for the easiest parts in all ten songs, and then expand on the bars I feel confident with. Even if in the end I can't 'perform' a song, I'll still have gained a lot of insight of patterns etc. I can use to noodle around or improvise.

I estimated that I would need at least 5 years in order to learn all of the arrangements. However, that would mean spending a lot of time on my low G tenor. I do have some other musical projects going on on different instruments.

On learning music by heart:
    I often play flute music from memory, though I really shouldn't. Maybe I'm just getting older and I can't memorise as easily anymore. But Telemann's 12 Fantasias, which I have been working on for the last three years, is too challenging to play without the sheet music. I try to learn songs from YouTube tutorials without the sheet music, and it works for as long as I am learning the song. But leave it a month and I'll have forgotten many things, except for very simple arrangements such as the Jurassic Park theme arrangement from the Rock Class 101 tutorial.

I wonder why the selection of songs is presented in that particular order in the book, as they do not appear with supposedly the most difficult song as the last one.

After looking through the book again last night, I would suggest "What A Wonderful world" as a starting point. It is a familiar tune to most of us and the arrangement by Howard & Craig isn't too challenging

Last edited by prb035; 01-19-2020 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Add video
    Grandma Uker Penny

Thanks, Grandma Uker Penny. Even my children know this tune, so maybe they'll hum along as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Bean View Post
    Thanks, Grandma Uker Penny. Even my children know this tune, so maybe they'll hum along as well?
    Ha-ha, let's hope so Once I got used to following the fingerings & barres that are suggested in the standard notation the tune became a lot easier to learn & play, good luck with it
    Grandma Uker Penny

Thread Information