Thread: HELP ....concert purchase decission; LONG NECK vs STANDARD

Default HELP ....concert purchase decission; LONG NECK vs STANDARD

Hi All, I m new too the forum and this is my first thread..im interested in a long neck concert. Unfortunately im buying online so I don't have hands on.. are their any recommendations , opinions or preferences on LONG NECK vs STANDARD ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tfdx View Post
    Hi All, I m new too the forum and this is my first thread..im interested in a long neck concert. Unfortunately im buying online so I don't have hands on.. are their any recommendations , opinions or preferences on LONG NECK vs STANDARD ?
    I find the concert scale is most comfortable and allows even some more difficult pieces of music to be played with little effort, and may also have more frets than a soprano. It sounds great with a concert sized body, but paired with a soprano body you get closer to the original punchy ukulele sound, so a long-neck soprano is loved by many people.

If you want a long neck concert then it tells me that you like the sound of a concert but you would prefer more room between the frets than a concert would give you thus a long (tenor) neck on a concert body. A standard neck would be a concert neck (scale) on a concert body.

I tried tenors/tenor scale and found that the reach was difficult on some chords so it's much more comfortable for me to play concert ukuleles. On the other side, I found that the soprano scale was too small for me to play comfortably so I've never owned a soprano but I do own a long neck soprano which gives me the soprano sound with the comfort of a concert neck (scale).
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a uke which is basically the same thing.

Ukes are a lot like potato chips. It's hard to stop with just one!

Long neck concerts have a tenor scale, long neck soprano have a concert scale, a giraffe neck soprano has a tenor scale.

I have all three types in my collection, the main consideration is the actual scale length that you prefer.

Long neck soprano, I have Ohana & Kala, giraffe neck soprano is an Ohana, & my long neck concerts are Ohana & KoAloha Opio.

Their advantage is more space for your fingers over a standard sized uke, with a bit more sustain.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

What are you playing now and what do you like/dislike about the scale length? If you have a concert but feel your fingers are too cramped, get the long neck. If you have a tenor and really like the scale, same answer.

A long neck isn't inherently better than a standard neck, it's just an option if you don't want the tenor body size, or you want more frets and/or fret spacing on your concert.
    Glenn

thanks for the help....I was curious if the sound would be affected.. and I would presume that a long neck would probally be slightly thinner nut spacing ?

The nut width should be the same or sometimes wider if they make their tenor necks wider. The string tension will be higher on a long neck. Sound will change a little, but it will still sound like a concert.
    Glenn

Thread Information