finger picking string recomendations

Tfdx

Reaction score
HI All, i have a kamaka all koa tenor and i mostly finger pick on it..Does anyone have any recomendations on strings that best suite finger pickers and sound nice on all koa kamka .....

To finger pick, all you need is fingers. Any string will work. It is just a matter of preference. The D'Addario strings that came with my Kamaka were fingerable. They sounded great. However, since I tend towards Roots/Americana music, I like to bend strings. The D'Addario strings were a bit stiff for me. I went away from nylon strings accordingly. I typically use Fremont or Worth strings because I don't like the feel of wound strings, but anything works. So I would suggest doing whatever you want. It is hard to go wrong.

thanks...ill try those two...I only asked, because I use only the flesh part of my fingers.. I am new to the ukulele, but my experience with guitar playing has shown me that different strings ,size are suitable for different guitars.

To finger pick, all you need is fingers.

This.

Search "strings" and you will find, literally, thousands of posts on strings for all styles and instruments.

Maybe I'm not picky (!) enough, but I mostly finger pick and use most any strings except Nylgut, but that's because I'm not crazy about Nylgut, though the point Riprock makes is a good one.

Whatever strings you prefer.

Nothing to do with brands, but I prefer low G for finger picking or even DGBE as you can at least get a suggestion of bass.

This is purely my personal preference, but I find D'addario Pro-Arte nylon strings to be the best for fingerpicking. I would pick "Normal tension" (ie: their concert ukulele set, not tenor ukulele set) as lower tension feels better for finger picking for me.

Also important is the setup of the instrument. There's a certain sweet spot of action/saddle height/nut height that responds favorably to one's playing style.

Last edited:
Low g tuning ,with a Fremont tenor lo g 4th string, rest are Martin M620. Is working very well for me atm...subject to change according to whim! ��

This is a very subjective topic, but for me, koa tops sound their best with bright fluoros installed. Worth Clear, Oasis Bright, Martin M600 etc. In my mind, something about the natural "crystalline" tone of koa is enhanced by the added sparkle of a nice bright fluoro string.

I have enjoyed playing primarily on cedar and redwood topped tenors for the last couple of years because I like the crisp, guitar-like sound and extended sustain that they produce. Recently though, I have been becoming more and more intrigued by an all-koa concert scale KoAloha, which I have recently strung up low G, and which has quite a complex and interesting tone with the right strings. I have been so impressed that I find myself wondering if a tenor-size koa uke might be in my near future.

Last edited:
I like the sound of Worth clear low G strings on my HF-3.

I use either Martins or Living Water strings, (concert size ukes, though), and for low G, Freemont Soloist wound low G.
Living Water strings are my favorite overall.

Top Bottom