Something that really annoys me

Twiggy

Reaction score
I am still waiting for my first ever Uke to get to me, it's supposed to be here on Monday, but may be delayed by a day or so, due to a mechanical failure (I guess the UPS truck broke down, lol). Anyways, I am bored, so time for an off-topic post.

Something that really annoys me is that whenever I bring up my Cigar and Pipe smoking hobby (tobacco only, no marijuana or other substances) or talk about all the fast food I like to eat, etc, etc I often get people telling me "you shouldn't smoke, it causes cancer, lung disease, etc" or "that food will give you a heart attack, high blood pressure, you're going to get diabetes" etc.

What's annoying is that, I am about a month from being 25 years old, young, but plenty old enough to understand the effects of different food types, and of tobacco smoke. I don't need people telling me things which I have known for a decade, if not more, already.

I am sure I can't be the only person who is annoyed by others telling people the obvious, especially if it's something that affects only them.

You do not need to tell people things that literally everyone knows, it's not helpful, it's just annoying, as annoying as Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on your door.

When I was your age (57 years ago) I was a determined non smoker, as I still am. Back then everybody (it seemed) smoked. As well as having to suffer their horrible fumes, I was constantly being told to, "Be man! Have a cigarette!". That was pretty annoying, too.

In your case, they're right, you know. You'll learn.

John Colter

ps. Just checking - do people still use the term, "Tongue in cheek"?

Last edited:
What's annoying is that, I am about a month from being 25 years old, young, but plenty old enough to understand the effects of different food types, and of tobacco smoke. I don't need people telling me things which I have known for a decade, if not more, already.

Beats me why you do it then......

At 25 you take your youth for granted. But getting old is no fun. And if you abuse your body with bad habits then the aging goes much faster. It's your choice if in 20 years you want to deal with health problems that you could also have 15 to 20 years later.

Clearly everyone has missed the point here.

This is an example of things everyone knows, and that people have heard time and time again, no one is saying anything new at all, it's all repetition, which is where being annoying comes in.

My OP just mentioned a couple examples, but there's lots of other obvious things everyone knows, which you don't need to tell people because they already know. Just gets on people's nerves.

"Clearly everyone has missed the point here"

It's not clear to me. Your OP was specifically about being warned about the perils of smoking and of a bad diet. It is hardly surprising that the responses have been about those two activities. Anyway, it's your body, so, your rules.

Live long and prosper.

John Colter.

As long as you are of reasonable intelligence, you should be aware of the hazards of smoking and eating a diet concentrated of fast fatty foods.

As long as you don’t wax eloquence regarding the joys and wonders of your indulgences, no one should be telling you to stop.

Everyone has their Piccadilly’s, and we tend to justify them. For me, I love to remember the great taste of Pizza Rolls, but I’ve long ago ceased to indulge because today they taste horrid — in addition to being unhealthy. But boy, did I enjoy them a decade or two ago. Fast foods are the same.

Smoking never enthralled me - I detested enduring the blue haze surrounding EVERY event adults were at. And I’ve lost friends and family to the consequences. College professors who lost their tongue to cancer. But, you should be aware of the hazards. Your choice.

So, if someone lectures you...

You are aware, but you enjoy these choices. Thank you for your concern. Let us change the subject.

You're exactly right.

Everyone has their vices, most of which are not healthy, and most people are aware of that.

I often do wonder what goes through the heads of those who lecture, I mean, do they honestly think an adult wouldn't know that smoking can cause negative health effects, or that eating a lot of fast food, or whatever the unhealthy vice is can be harmful somehow?

I don't recall asking any question, at all.

The intent of my OP was to rant about how telling people the obvious, is annoying, and that it happens far too often. I used my personal experiences as examples, because everyone knows those things aren't good.

For another example, telling a grown adult to look both ways before crossing the road, is just as annoying, because that should be obvious to a grown adult already.

I just don't understand why people tell others things which they should already know and which should be obvious? It just doesn't make any sense. Literally, what the hell is the point?

Last edited:
I don't recall asking any question, at all.

The intent of my OP was to rant about how telling people the obvious, is annoying, and that it happens far too often. I used my personal experiences as examples, because everyone knows those things aren't good.

For another example, telling a grown adult to look both ways before crossing the road, is just as annoying, because that should be obvious to a grown adult already.

I just don't understand why people tell others things which they should already know and which should be obvious? It just doesn't make any sense. Literally, what the hell is the point?

I think a lot of the time, when we tell people something they already know (for example, the longterm effects of their unhealthy lifestyle), that it’s just our awkward way of showing that we care about the person.

With regard to telling a grown adult to look both ways before crossing the road...I think the bigger question here is, if this information is supposedly so obvious to a grown adult, then why do so many of them step out into oncoming traffic without looking at all?

To answer your question, Jan, some people (actually a large amount of people) are stupid.

I also think it could be arrogance/entitlement, expecting drivers to make random and sudden stops. It's one thing if you are using a crosswalk for example (and obviously if you are at a controlled intersection - lights, etc), but I've seen so many people just cross at completely random points in the road, without even waiting for a sizable gap int traffic. I understand that sometimes a crosswalk/intersection could be a very long ways away, but at least wait until the road is clear on both sides for a while.

To answer your question, Jan, some people (actually a large amount of people) are stupid.

I also think it could be arrogance/entitlement, expecting drivers to make random and sudden stops. It's one thing if you are using a crosswalk for example (and obviously if you are at a controlled intersection - lights, etc), but I've seen so many people just cross at completely random points in the road, without even waiting for a sizable gap int traffic. I understand that sometimes a crosswalk/intersection could be a very long ways away, but at least wait until the road is clear on both sides for a while.

In some countries, such as Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium among others, drivers have to give way to 'weak' road users, such as pedestrians and cyclists. If they decide to cross the road you have to brake or stop. I remember being a bit paranoid when I did my practical driving test, driving very slowly, checking both pavements and being fully prepared to stop in a safe way. Common sense mostly prevails though.

So, it might not be a good idea to generalise. Your background is unique to you. So, why can't we just receive the well-meant warnings or comments without reacting immediately? Take the advice on board, see if it works for you, and possibly just file it away or forget about it. I don't understand why you'd spend time fretting about it. Why not simply strum the negativity away?

[

Something that really annoys me is that whenever I bring up my Cigar and Pipe smoking hobby (tobacco only, no marijuana or other substances) or talk about all the fast food I like to eat, etc, etc I often get people telling me "you shouldn't smoke, it causes cancer, lung disease, etc" or "that food will give you a heart attack, high blood pressure, you're going to get diabetes" etc.

I am sure I can't be the only person who is annoyed by others telling people the obvious, especially if it's something that affects only them.

You do not need to tell people things that literally everyone knows, it's not helpful, it's just annoying, as annoying as Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on your door.

I would think one solution to your problem is not to bring up your cigar and pipe smoking hobby. I think it's only natural for people to wonder why you would indulge in such a harmful "hobby".
If I were to hear someone bring up their chain-saw juggling hobby, I'd probably ask them about the dangers of juggling chain saws, not because I thought they'd never thought of it, but because I was curious and concerned.
The term "hobby" makes me realise that it is very different than my many years of smoking cigarettes. It was not a hobby; it was an addiction and I tried, unsuccessfully, to quit many times. It was the realisation that I was gonna be a father that finally gave me the will-power to quit 43 years ago.
When I started smoking in the sixties, the dangers of smoking were not as well known as they are today (though everyone knew that they weren't good for you). Smoking in other people's houses, restaurants, bars and automobiles was quite acceptable. Even when I flew overseas I was given a pack of ten cigarettes by the airline and the attendant lit my smoke for me.

yeah, last time I smoked anything, was in December, so clearly, a different story.

I'm one of the people capable of occasional indulgence of substances without addiction.

In some countries, such as Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium among others, drivers have to give way to 'weak' road users, such as pedestrians and cyclists.

Over here pedestrians have right of way too, but of course that doesn't mean that they should just cross at complete random without care for the traffic on the road. Jaywalking here is technically a crime still, too.

I guess I am saying there's people that just don't use common sense. It is said that having common sense is actually a curse, because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

"at least wait until the road is clear on both sides for a while"

By your own definition, Twiggy, is that not an example of unnecessary, unsolicited advice? (Telling the obvious).

John Colter

"at least wait until the road is clear on both sides for a while"

By your own definition, Twiggy, is that not an example of unnecessary, unsolicited advice? (Telling the obvious).

John Colter

No, because in this context, if someone doesn't, they could get hit and possibly seriously injured and/or killed right then and there immediately, plus I am talking about people who do not already do this. If there is an immediate and serious potential danger, then it's a different story.

So I'm saying if you saw someone crossing without looking/caring, then going up to them and saying something akin to "you should look before you cross next time" is warranted, and is a completely different thing than telling people they shouldn't eat junk food for example.

Last edited:
Okay Twiggy, you are 25 years old. You haven't had enough life experience to recognize that it is human nature for people to tell other people how to live their life, and it is human nature to get annoyed when people tell you how to live your life Buck up, you can't fight human nature. You got lots of years ahead of you, regardless of whether you smoke or not. Get used to it. It isn't going to stop.

Yeah seems you are right, unfortunately seeing how many people do it, it is human nature.

Unfortunately there's lots of bad things, like violence for example that are also part of human nature.

Top Bottom