Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Something that really annoys me

On Oahu, we have way more pedestrian deaths than the national average and, yeah, the obvious advice of looking both ways has been missed by far too many. Most are engulfed in their smartphone and earsbuds. They wouldn't notice a huge firetruck with sirens blazing even at 10 feet. I live across the street from a fire station and have personally witnessed many near misses of smartphone zombies...

well you shouldnt smoke its not healthy or good for you

This thread popped up and made me think of my son, who is now in his mid thirties. He just bought a new car on Saturday. A nice one too. Better than mine. He lives in LA and he texted me some pictures of it and then called me up. Before he ended the call I told him to drive careful and watch out for the other guy. When he first started driving as a teenager every single time he went out I would remind him to drive carefully and watch out for the other guy. He would assure me that he would. After a few years of that the started humoring me when I told him. Then he got into his twenties and got defensive when I told him and he would tell me that he wasn't a child. Mid twenties he got annoyed with me always telling him. Finally in his thirties he has gone back to assuring me that he will drive careful and watch out for the other guy, not to worry. Funny how maturity works.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by rllink View Post
    funny how maturity works.
    bingo,....
    Last edited by Pukulele Pete; 05-12-2020 at 04:39 AM. Reason: OLD AGE
    " Anything larger than a soprano is cheating "
    " I'm no luthier but ,........"

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Funny how maturity works.
    It certainly is funny how things work out, as a parent and grandparent I find myself looking at younger versions of myself and offering practical help and guidance (so that they don’t suffer unnecessarily difficulties and so that my mistakes aren’t repeated by them).

I definitely liked the driving tip - it applies to a lot of other things too - and have learned to (try to) watch out for what the other Guy might do ... never underestimate the stupidity of folk.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-14-2020 at 02:10 AM.

¨never underestimate the stupidity of folk¨
    I think I see where you´re coming from Graham.

With me, it´s fairly straightforward.
    When I make a mistake, it´s because anyone can make a mistake.
    When others make a mistake, it´s because they´re stupid.
    And a fool is someone who doesn´t know something I have known for the past ten minutes.
    Sadly, I´m fairly typical ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sadhu View Post
    ¨never underestimate the stupidity of folk¨
    I think I see where you´re coming from Graham.

With me, it´s fairly straightforward.
    When I make a mistake, it´s because anyone can make a mistake.
    When others make a mistake, it´s because they´re stupid.
    And a fool is someone who doesn´t know something I have known for the past ten minutes.
    Sadly, I´m fairly typical ...
    To me there are various forms of stupidity and some are more understandable than others. We’ve all made mistakes and later thought ourselves stupid for making whatever the mistake was. We’ve all discovered ways to complete a task and then wondered how we could have been so stupid as not to have made the discovery earlier. Some of us have driven in a way that we later realised was reckless and are thankful to still be alive, we know that what we did was stupid and now make a habit of compensating for younger versions of ourselves. Some people, vandals, destroy public property and other things of value; IMHO that is completely stupid and my hope is that such people reap the rewards that they deserve and are persuaded of their error.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 05-14-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Funny how maturity works.
    With age comes wisdom
    We learn more from our mistakes than we do from our successes

If this be true.....
    I’m wiser and oh so MUCH, MUCH more learned than these darn Millennials.

(Wanna see my scars?)

��

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    Yeah, kids do some really dumb sh*t. I Went to Wendy's in the spring for lunch, there were high school kids on their lunch break, and they were just running across the parking lot without looking without care, I had to make a sudden stop, because one literally bolted out a few feet in front of my car.
    You should tell them to stop doing that thing that's detrimental to their well-being even though they've probably heard that advice a bunch of times, because their behavior indicates that they don't understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    Thank you, still quite new.

Yeah, kids do some really dumb sh*t. I Went to Wendy's in the spring for lunch, there were high school kids on their lunch break, and they were just running across the parking lot without looking without care, I had to make a sudden stop, because one literally bolted out a few feet in front of my car.
    Smoking is another dumb thing that kids do because they think they're invulnerable. If you checked out the folks who smoke, I'll bet that the majority started when they were kids and became addicted. Most adults who smoke wish they'd never started, but stopping is not easy.
    When I was in grade five, a friend stole a carton of Black Cats and hid it in a hollow tree in the woods where we played. We'd go down after school and smoke. When they were gone, most of us bought cigarettes and continued smoking. After I moved out of my parents home, I tried many times to quit, but it's not an easy addiction to overcome. I finally quit 44 years ago when I found out that I was gonna be a father.

Thread Information